[3830] Rus DX VE6CNU SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX VE6CNU SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:17:03 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:
   40:   22               6        1
   20:  128     37       34        7
   15:    3               2
   10:
Total:  153     37       42        8  Total Score = 37,450

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

This was no fun at all.  I started out at 6AM local time on 40m as I didn't hear
anything on any other band.  After working a few stations in Oceania, things
went pretty dead within an hour and I tried working 20m.  It is very
discouraging to have a dozen calls in the log and hearing the eastern North
American stations with 150.  Things didn't improve much as a strong solar wind
boosted the noise level at my QTH to S7 on 20m, which is normally very quiet
here.  About mid-morning there was almost nobody on 20m CW, except for Israel
and Cyprus.  I managed to work Cyprus but not Israel, even though he was the
loudest I've ever heard 4Z.  I heard almost no one on 20m SSB the whole contest
and 15m was virtually dead every time I checked.  So I gave up and watched the
NCAA "March Madness", the Montreal/Toronto hockey game (I think the Habs are
also affected by the lack of sunspots), and checked the radio in between
periods.  I actually managed to work a few Russians on 20m CW in the early
evening on 20m.  But that was it.  I listened a bit on 40m and 80m and heard
nothing so went to bed.  I'm beginning to think that Maunder was an optimist!

73 and Hpe CU all next time.

Jerry
VE6CNU

Rig:  FT1000MP