[3830] Rus DX C4Z(5B4AIZ) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chricimou@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: [3830] Rus DX C4Z(5B4AIZ) SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:44:33 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: C4Z

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Mazotos Cyprus
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    0     0         0         0
   80:   33     0         5        22
   40:  274     0        30        59
   20:  390     0        34        63
   15:  189     0        32        34
   10:    2     0         2         0
Total:  888     0       103       178  Total Score = 1,958,570

Club: Chiltern DX Club - UK

Comments:

This contest score is for C4Z (call used in the contest) Some shortcoming in
this reflector will not recognise a 3 letter call!

I hadn't reckoned on doing this one as other things had been planned and after
Beru last weekend I wanted to keep the xyl sweet by devoting some time with
her. As it turned out our social event was cancelled so I got to play radio and
still got the Brownie points!

As it was last minute I hadn't studied the rules and had not done this one
before and planned just a few hours. Anyway it was manic and I got caught up in
it, as you do, and ended up quite involved but with no goal or strategy, just
along for the fun. My object at the outset was to work as many oblasts as
possible. Not having read the rules I didn't realise that dx countries also
scored as mults and my logging prog did not show them up as mults so as I was
not looking for countries, and most of those I did get called me, my country
total is pretty miserable and I realise now that had I made a bit of effort in
that direction I could have made a half decent competetive score in the low
power section as I did get a lot of 10 pointers, I can't believe now just how
many easy 'counters' I passed by!

Good to find 15mtrs open for periods at a time, there were openings to JA, NA &
SA, Africa is almost always open to this area. 20m & 40m were bedlem here on the
cusp of europe, the concurrent Bartg contest made life very difficult
restricting the available bandwidth whereas we really needed to spread out.
This does hamper qrp and low power stations as we are unable to find a gap to
squeeze into and when we do we soon have our toys removed. All part of the
rough and tumble of course and it's the same for everyone in the same
category.

I don't have a top band antenna and was sleeping during what would have been
the prime time on 80. Next year I shall definately be 'up' for this one it was
really good fun, I had no idea it would be so busy, and that's what we like,
plenty of q's for everybody.

Eqp't - Kenwood TS570 - 100w.
Antennas - TH3 Jnr,(3 ele tribander) @50'
           Dipole for 40m @ 45'