[3830] WPX SSB KH7XS(K4XS) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KH7XS(K4XS) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:16:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Laupahoehoe, KH6
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:   92
   40: 1479
   20: 2024
   15:  967
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

My first attempt at all band category for a DX contest from the new station.  I
am constantly amazed how well the station plays, especially on 40.  40 is
important in this contest since it provides the precious 6 pointers.

Prefixes are a lot harder to work from KH6 than from the mainland and I was
really disappointed in the prefix total.  I think the relative distance from EU
is the culprit.  However, almost all QSOs count as 3 or 6 pointers, so it's a
tradeoff.

Since it was my first all band WPX from KH6 the choice of off times was rather
tricky and I really wasn't sure exactly what times to pick.  I had a rough idea
but let the flow of the contest and my gut feeling dictate the off times.  With
an average hour of around 140Qs per hour a 100 hour can feel pretty slow, plus
you have to figure in what band you're on.  It can boggle the mind after only 1
hr  sleep per night.

I missed not having a second xcvr to pick up mults and I think that cost me
maybe 40 or 50 mults, but I hope to have something set up for that for the next
WPX.

Most fun was on our sunset running EU (no split)and working the EU guys by the
numbers on 40.  I heard some of the strongest signals from EU on that band I've
ever heard in KH6.  Those EU pileups can be a challenge to manage.  Biggest
surprise was the enormous 15 meter pipeline opening to the mainland on our
Sunday morning.

It seemed like everyone was pretty courteous which made operating fun.  It's
always good to run into old friends in this one.

73 Bill KH7XS/K4XS