[3830] WPX SSB VP2EC(N5AU) SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VP2EC(N5AU) SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 05:39:21 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2EC
Operator(s): N5AU
Station: VP2EC

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: ANGUILLA
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 2334
   10:
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

We decided to give the 15 meter station a shakedown this weekend.
Unfortunately, we didn't have all the antennas in operation, but with the
conditions the way they were, it would have made little difference.    A good
high rotary would have helped some.    The only rotary we had was at 40 feet.
The good news was the hardware we did have up and the software all worked
perfectly.

15 never opened to Europe the second morning at all.   (we got an hour or two
the first morning with decent pile-ups)   We have never seen 15 meter
conditions quite this bad in the Caribbean to Europe.   This must be the very
bottom.   It can't get much worse, but it could stay this way for a while
longer.    We did get a southern and western European opening late in the
second day, but it was definitely "too little, too late".    Signals from the
big gun stations were loud as always, but the little pistols didn't have the
necessary propagation to make it.

We had a number of US stations call in for dupes and claim we weren't in their
logs.    Some could be badly miscopied calls, etc, but even when provided with
their QSO number were unable to find the QSO or tell us it wasn't so.    These
we worked again (to be certain) as we appreciate all callers, but it's hard to
believe so many were "not in their log" when their calls were clearly copied
correctly in ours.   There can't be that many stations going around using
someone else's callsign.    There must be quite a few guys still using paper
logs and not writing everything down, or using no log at all since it's not a
legal requirement any longer.

The VP2E station will be down for major antenna work for an extended period.
The WPX SSB will probably be the last active contest for a while unless the new
solar cycle decides to have a sudden change of heart.    We have quite a few
projects to get done and can't really tackle them with immediate contest
operating requirements looming.    See everyone when they are done with a new
and improved signal on all the bands.

73

Gordon N5AU
Ray VP2E