[3830] Rus DX VK9AA(VK2IA) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2ia@vkcc.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX VK9AA(VK2IA) SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:21:19 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VK9AA
Operator(s): VK2IA
Station: VK9AA

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Cocos (Keeling) Is.
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:    0     0         0         0
   80:    9     0         9         1
   40:   44     0        36         4
   20:  341     0        59        29
   15:  537     0        64        38
   10:   17     0         9         5
Total:  948     0       177        77  Total Score = 1,411,986

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Never had so many things go wrong at the same time on a trip to Cocos.  Maybe it
was pay back time for all those previous lucky years...

- Linear was damaged in transit, never got it working again despite
  telephone support by Emtron
- Because of this, 160 was a complete write off on this trip and my
  planned SSB activity had to be cut back to a minimum
- Computer crashed many times - had to do a fair bit of paper logging
  bringing back old memories
- Spider beam came down twice in storms - could fix it but it wouldn't
  have survived a third time
- Spent the first two days looking for the box with coax cables which
  I had stored on the island.  Luckily I had two spare rolls elsewhere
  that I could use.
- All antenna gear seemed to have deteriorated since I was last there
  in November 2007.  Spent a fair bit of time fixing corroded contacts
  etc. I expected this to happen but not too this extent.

Bottom line is, I did enjoy RDXC as well as my two weeks on Cocos and all pile
ups, but struggled particularly on the low bands during the contest as one can
see in my summary. No chance to get through EU QRM without high power.
Surprisingly, there was no sunrise peak on LF this time.

Thanks everybody for the QSOs and see you in RDXC next year, not sure from
where.  QSL via DL8YR.

73
Bernd VK9AA (VK2IA)