[3830] WPX SSB KZ9O(@W0AIH) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, skjasper@att.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KZ9O(@W0AIH) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:57:26 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KZ9O
Operator(s): NE9U, N9ISN, AC0W, K9MU, KB9OWD, K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: wi
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:  111
   80:  659
   40: 1562
   20: 1528
   15:  185
   10:   17
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, that was about as much fun that you can have from the bottom of the solar
cycle deep in the black hole of Wisconsin!

Back In November during CQWW, a couple of us thought it would be fun to try a
hardcore M/2 from the Farm sometime (M/Mâ??s are the normal rule).  Since WPX
SSB isnâ??t on the normal contest calendar from the Farm, we thought this might
be a good one to give a try.  I (NE9U) am not really a phone guy, but I do like
to go mobile in the MnQP, WQP, run marathons, and other masochistic things of
that nature, so I thought what the heck, Iâ??ll do it!  Paul (W0AIH) gave us
the OK at the ARRL DX weekend and plans were set in motion.

Well, there actually wasnâ??t that much to plan for.  Paulâ??s station is
always ready to go, although not configured for M/2.  We used all 6 positions
and Mark, KB9S made sure the network and software was set up to work properly.
The only thing we really did different was set up an operating schedule so that
everyone knew when and where they would be operating and sleeping.  This really
helped cut the fatigue factor.

We rocketed off to a good start with AC0W on 20 meters, and K9MU and 40 meters.
 Since N9ISN and myself were scheduled for the night shift, we headed off to
nap.  K9MU actually had to WORK the night shift, so KB9OWD took over for him
after a couple hours (both K9MU and KB9OWD are a couple of young pups who will
be contesting for years to come!)

Around 0600Z, NE9U and N9ISN took over 40, 80 and 160 meters for a typical slow
but steady night from the black hole.  Highlights were using the African Rhombic
with the reverse switch pulled to pull in Q5 VKâ??s that were barely readable on
the 200 foot stack (I am always amazed at how well Paulâ??s Rhombics work).
Then around 1030 Zulu a bomb went off in the corner of the chalet (at least it
sounded like one) as we lost the big stack of Paulâ??s homebrew amps for
160/80/40).  Well that put a damper on any chance for an early morning JA run.
We eventually got the 15-meter spotting Alpha in the 40-meter position, but we
lost a lot of qsoâ??s.  Later that day, Paul diagnosed the problem and got
everything back in order for Saturday night (AC0Wâ??s and KB9OWDâ??s shift).

Saturday and Saturday night went pretty smoothly, although 15 meters was a
terrible disappointment.  10 was about as expected.  40 was steady.  80 and 160
so so.

The only other problem we encountered all weekend occurred Sunday morning.
NE9U was running Europe on 20 when he began getting reports of intermittent
audio and signal fluctuations.  The relays in the Alpha were apparently
chattering.  After a ½ hour of troubleshooting, the easiest solution was to
switch out the amp for the 20-meter spotting amp.  We were back in business,
but probably lost 50-75 European QSOâ??s.  Speaking of 20 meters, I am always
amazed at how well Paulâ??s rhombics work!!!!  I look out the window at a 4
high stack on a 200 foot tower, and it is being beat out by pieces of wire
pointed at Europe, Japan, Africa, and South America.  hi
Late in the day on Sunday, K9MU had an incredible 2 hour run of Jaâ??s, BYâ??s,
YBâ??s, DUâ??s, etcâ?¦.He said they were the loudest he has ever heard. (And he
was using the JA Rhombic)

Well, all in all, we exceeded our preliminary goals.  We knew we could not be
in the same ballpark as the East Coast boys who can run Europe on 40/80, but we
hoped for around 3000 Qâ??s and 6M points.  We ended up with 4K+ qsos and 8M+
points, about as well as I think you can do from Wisconsin at this point in the
sunspot cycle.

Thanks to Paul and Mary for being great hosts as usual.  Thanks to Mark, KB9S
for his computer set-up and trouble shooting.

Scott  NE9U
Al N9ISN
Justin K9MU
Ryan KB9OWD