[3830] 7QP W0BH SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP W0BH SOMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:34:31 -0700
                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1      3      0
   80:   37     38      0
   40:   51    129      0
   20:   65    271      4
   15:   12      0      0
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  166    441      4  Mults = 142  Total Score = 197,664

Club:

Comments:

With 7QP, NEQP and INQP (plus MARAC and ARI), this is definately the "busiest"
QSO Party weekend of the year for me. Propagation usually makes me choose which
party to work on at any given time, but this year there were several nice
stretches on Saturday afternoon when all three locations were coming in on 20m
and again on 40m in the evening. 15 meters was open to the west for awhile on
Saturday afternoon, but I could never get a run going.

Overall, my totals were down 10 Qs, 4 mults and 7% in score from from last year
(with fewer CW contacts). My NEQP score was up 13% and my INQP score more than
doubled, so not sure whether conditions were good or bad from a 7QP scoring
standpoint, but it sure was fun! My combined log also ended up with 211
"non-revenue" Qs asking for LOTW confirmation, Triple Play, WAS, or county
confirmation.

Since digital modes were added to the 7QP this year, I decided late Friday
evening to try RTTY. I didn't have a fast way to switch modes, but I kept
checking the RTTY frequencies and did find 2 stations calling CQ. I also had
two stations come back to my RTTY CQs, but I finally quit trying after too many
unsuccessful attempts. Next year if digital mode is still in play, I'll have my
second radio set up to quick-switch to RTTY and throw out many more short RTTY
CQs as time permits. I did have a chance to work one Triple-Play, but couldn't
convince the op to try CW!

Special thanks to the following ops and mobiles for multiple contacts (mobiles
only shown at 5 and down). If I was working only 7QP, I could have done a much
better job of tracking mobiles. I know I missed mults because of that and will
have to work on that in the future.

12 K7EAR
10 KD0S/m, also loudest consistent mobile into Kansas award
9  NK7U
6  W7RN
5  AA5B/m K4XU/m K7UT/m (didn't realize AA5B/m was QRP .. good job!)
3  W0QE/m W6RA/m
2  K7ED/m

With a few years of history now, it's fun to track state trends.  Here are my
multiplier totals for each state for the past three years:

07 08 09 MAX
14 14 13 /15 Arizona
16 15 21 /44 Idaho <-- big jump!
24 21 16 /56 Montana
08 04 08 /17 Nevada
34 33 30 /36 Oregon
19 20 20 /29 Utah
31 26 27 /39 Washington
07 13 07 /31 Wyoming

I did notice a much larger proportion of Idaho contacts this year. I actually
asked one Idaho op about that and he said there were some clubs who were really
promoting ham radio in Idaho this past year. Great to hear.

And finally, thanks to the excellent work by the CODXC and others who have made
this into a really enjoyable operating event. See you next year!

We're working hard on the Kansas QSO Party to be held the last weekend in
August. There are lots of plaques, Kansas Konsumable awards, a youth category
and 105 counties. Check out the web site at http://www.ksqsoparty.org/.

73, Bob, w0bh