[3830] WPX CW YN2GY(K9GY) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW YN2GY(K9GY) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:11:35 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: YN2GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: YN2N

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EK71au
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:   22
   40:  835
   20:  866
   15:  140
   10:    2
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Got a 6 meter opening to the U.S. at 23z before the contest started. Ended up
taking a quick shower about 2345z!

Pre-contest strategy said to concentrate on low bands for six and four
pointers. Therefore sleep during the day....well good plans sometimes don't get
executed properly, hah! Plan was to operate from the start until 16z then break
from 16-19z (when condx were crummy!)... Mother nature threw a wrench in the
plans. The rain season is here so there were multiple storms going on the first
night making the low bands tough. Even some lightening which made me think about
what a crazy contester I am. So the storms moved me from 40m down to 20m for the
lower point QSOs. Maybe Nancy Pelosi is trying some water boarding on my contest
plans?

Initial QSO goals were (80-10) 200, 1000, 1000, 400, 75 = 2675 which I thought
would be a stretch for low power but needed some Donald Trump goals.

Learned at the Dayton CTU to put the bandpass filters right at the radio which
made a definite improvement. Used the FT-817 for QSX to determine activity and
paths etc. The main radio is Yaesu FT-857D which has been my workhorse since
2006. 3L yagi for 20-15m, 40m dipole, and 2L 40m quad. The delta loop on 80m
didn't get much use.

I took an emotional hit when VE3DZ/VP9 was about 600 Qs ahead of me when we
worked but fortunately I regained focus towards meeting my own goals and
objectives.

Ended up with the best total score since I've been DX for WPX CW ('06-now).
It's directly related the 40m emphasis. Also best mult total.

Now why would someone send "NAN" for serial # in the last hour. Gosh my brain
is scrambled enough now I have to decode that to be 919...argh!

Lost AC power at 2335z for three minutes (25 mins remaining in test) when
trying to get to the 5 mil mark... Initially was just trying to reach 4.2 mil
but the last couple hours were quite productive. Spent the last 4.5 hours of
test on 14005 for some exciting operating :-)

Even though it's like riding a roller coaster... in the end it's still a heck
of a lot of fun! See you all next contest and next WPX CW!

CQ CONTEST!
Eric K9GY

Octavio's rental is ready for you to be DX!
Check out his website http://www.YN2N.com
Even has a FT-950 here!