[3830] WPX CW K4RO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro.tcg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4RO SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 00:33:19 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:  146
   80:   45
   40:  526
   20: 1388
   15:  233
   10:    6
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I need a bigger shovel. :-) My QSO's were down from last year, while my score
was up a bit. I tried to concentrate a lot more on DX this year, and resisted
the temptation to run Es USA on the high bands. There was not as much Es as
last year, it turned out. Mults were WAY up this year. My logging program told
me that I broke 4 million, but it was just teasing me -- maybe next year. QRN
was just brutal on the low bands, and sometimes on 20 meters too. THANKS for
ALL of the repeats. It's not a good QSO if the number isn't right. WPX is two
contests in one -- I copied 2200 call signs and 2200 serial numbers. WPX is
hard work.

Activity was fantastic. I wonder if the date played a roll, especially in the
USA? Maybe it was K5ZD's FB publicity efforts? It seemed like there was a
bottomless pit of QSOs available, except around local noon time. Twenty meters
was always open to somewhere. I just love those over the pole openings all
night that happen in the CW WPX. Now if we could just get a few thousand BY
stations interested in contesting somehow... and some sun spots. I believe this
year's score represents a personal best in the WPX CW contest. I'm glad to have
gone the distance again.

I guess I should have used a unique prefix to help attract more callers. On the
other hand, I wonder if that is really of value with the current rules? Every
QSO is now worth something, ever since the domestic 1-point rule change. Every
3rd QSO is a new mult, on average. Still, I suspect that a unique prefix
attracts a few extra callers. WPX is still very much a DX contest, as is
evident by the scores and the points-per-QSO value of the top guns.

WPX is a great contest, and one that I look forward to every year. Thanks for
K5ZD for keeping it rolling. Thanks for the QSOs, and see you next year!

73  -Kirk  K4RO