[3830] AlQP KC4HW(@KC4HW/M) SO Mobile+DriverCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimjohnson@alaweb.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP KC4HW(@KC4HW/M) SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 15:19:32 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: KC4HW
Operator(s): KC4HW
Station: KC4HW/M

Class: SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   13
   40:  335
   20:  200
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  548     0  CW Mults = 42  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 73,980

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Great turn out in and out of Alabama!  Thanks to everyone that participated in
our event!  We had perfect weather.  Maybe not so perfect propagation, but it
was as good as it could be!

We need your logs, please submit to logs[at]alabamaqsoparty[dot]org

I can't thank everyone enough!

I was mobile, CW only with my YL as the driver!  Covered Escambia, Monroe,
Clarke, Washington, Choctaw, Sumter, Marengo, Hale, Perry, Dallas, Wilcox,
Dallas, Lowndes, Montgomery, Crenshaw, Covington, Coffee and Geneva
counties--17 counties!  About 744 miles include the trip for an AQP prsentation
to the Mobile ARC, Mobile, AL on Friday night for about 40 of their members.
They had great attendance at their meeting and it was a spirited group.  I have
heard from others that there were several Mobile county stations on so I was
glad that it worked out.

The actually trip operating in the AQP was 503 miles.  So about 1 Q/mile.  My
YL drove almost all the way during the AQP.  She began to tire around 9PM and I
took over and got us the rest of the way in.

The mobile station consist of a 99 Chevy "Red" Truck with 253k miles.  Never
missed a beat.  Radio is an Icom 706MKII.  I added the 500Hz CW filter this
year and it was a lot better, especially on 40m.  The antenna was the Hustler
Mobile setup with resonators for 20m, 40m and 80m.  Used a laptop with a DC to
DC supply, Writelog and a microKeyer USB for the interface.  Had an additional
back up computer and a LPT CW interface, never had any problems with the
primary setup.  The 20m antenna was out of resonance some how, but made the
adjustment on the fly and it worked very well.

My first contact was with KL7AI and I thougth: Man! this was going to be good!
20m was pretty good and yeilded a lot of Qs.  40m was good too, but seemed noisy
during the early evening hours.  Use 80m at the end and worked several, but
there was alot of effort trying to get those Qs.  Changing counties was a trip
with the pileup each time.  It was fun to work through it all.  Had a number of
Qs from DL3DXX, HK3Q and TI2II.

Thanks to everyone for tolerating my CW.  I am getting a little better, but
still have a long way to go!

Thanks again to all that participated and hope that we can see (hear) you again
next year!  73!

Jim/KC4HW
http://www.AlabamaContestGroup.org
http://www.AlabamaQSOParty.org