[3830] AlQP WX4RUS M/MMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [3830] AlQP WX4RUS M/MMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:33:27 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: WX4RUS
Operator(s): K4BAI, N4DTV, K4EOR, WX4JIM, KE4LMV, KJ4LZG, WB9TFS, W2YO.
Station: WX4RUS

Class: M/MMixed LP
QTH: RUSSELL CO., AL EOC
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    0      0
   80:   81     16
   40:  210    118
   20:  110      5
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  401    140  CW Mults = 44  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 70,650

Club: Russell County Radio Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, G5RV; IC756Pro, 100W, B&W folded dipole.  Plan was to operate
full time with the SSB station on the permanent antenna and a CW station on a
temporarily installed G5RV from the Russell County EOC.  K4EOR provided the
G5RV and, with the expert help of N4DTV and W2YO, SWR problems from nearby
metal buildings and RF feedback problems with it were solved before the contest
started.  I provided two laptops with the NA logging program.  Turned out that
one didn't have the AQP module installed, so we used the GA QSO Party Module
and it worked flawlessly.  The other one had a defective AQP module and I had
to do a lot of refiguring afterward to come up with the claimed score.

The CW station performed well.  Turned out that the all band antenna
permanently installed and used for the SSB station didn't work well at all.
Only on 75 SSB did it seem that it worked even half well.  I believe the result
will be that the EOC will soon have a better antenna installed.

20M seemed poor throughout and we were unable to establish a run even with the
G5RV station.  40M was fair in the daytime and turned very good in the late
afternoon and evening.  80M was good during darkness.  QRN was present on 40
and 80, but wasn't bad.  In the evening, when the rate dropped on CW, the G5RV
station went to 40 SSB for a run of 110 QSOs.  Highlight was the first HF
contest QSOs by Vanessa, KJ4LZG.  I'm sure she will be fired up for more HF SSB
QSOs on Field Day when many of the same group will be operating as W4AN 4A AL.

One goal set by WX4JIM, station manager, was to work all AL counties.
Unfortunately, the long skip on 40 and 20 prohibited getting close to that
goal.  40M did shorten up by sundown though, and other AL stations that had
been inaudible became strong.  Our county total was 24.

A good time was had by all in spite of frustrations with the SSB station's
signal.  Fried chicken pieces and the trimmings was provided for dinner
courtesy of the Russell County Radio Club.  Special thanks for allowing me to
participate.  Hope to work you all from W4AN in Field Day.

DX stations worked:  HK3Q, DL3DXX (all 3 bands), SP5SA, DL3IAC, PA3ARM, WP4L,
OK1AOV, UA3AGW, C6AMS, F3NB, DK5AD, SM5IMO.

73, John, K4BAI.