[3830] ARRL June VHF N9TF Limited Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N9TF Limited Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:14:27 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  345   119  Total Score = 50,099

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

First I would like to publicly thank N9DSJ, William, up in Wonderlake IL. who,
in the last five minutes of the contest, pulled out his Yaesu FT-490 with one
watt, climbed up to his roof (no 432 antenna) to give me my final contact of
the contest on 432 to help me break 50K points!

The contest for me ended on a high note compared to how it started. About an
hour into the contest, I noticed a really high noise level on all four bottom
bands, especially making it hard to hear stations on 6 meters. The noise lasted
about 20 minutes, then gone. Not long after the noise was gone, my youngest son
yelled down to me that I'd better come upstairs. I said "not now, 6 is hot and
I got a run going. My rate is over 100/hr". He yelled again, this time saying,
"you really need to come up here and check out your blown out windows in you
car"! What the $*%$ did you say??!! Well... the noise I was hearing on all my
rigs for 20 minutes was my neighbor next door cutting down his basketball hoop
with some big ol' contruction saw. In his poor planning, he did not anticipate
in which direction flying concrete and metal projectiles would be going.
Well... my Rav4 now has permanent 2-60 AC on the passenger side!! That little
mishap cost me 2.5 hours in the middle of the 6 meter fun Saturday afternoon,
DARN!

And wouldn't you know it, I get up at 6:30am Sunday in hopes for some nice band
openings to continue on 6. I make a few sporadic Q's until I need to pull the
plug for church at 9:00am. Need to stop at the store on the way home from
church to pick up a few things, then time for lunch, get back in the chair at
1:00pm local and find out I missed a nice 2 hour or so opening on 6 to the
west. DOUBLE DARN!!!

I still had a good time. This was the first time I've ever broken 50K with low
power on the bottom four. I just hope there are no busted calls and no dreaded
"NOT IN LOG" deductions!

There have been some really nice scores turned in so far. Chad, WE9V, nice to
work you and see you in the fun... Craig, K9CT, AWSOME score!! Very nice to
see/hear/work all the SMC'ers on the band this weekend.

Kevin, thanks to you for rallying the troops together for this ever popular
event.

Bob, N9AKR, it's always nice to have our friendly competition on the bottom
four, low power, similar station set up. I understand you edged me out again?
Congrats!

CU all in the UHF contest in August. I'll be on 222/432/ and 1296!

Station Conditions: 6m- Icom ProIII 100 watts to 3 elements40 something feet.
2m/222/432 FT-736R 25 watts, antennas: 13B2, 224WB, 719B, all between 40 and 47
feet sigle mast.
FM- IC-228-A 25 watts, DR-235 25 watts, FT-100 (446.0) 20 watts, antenna: Comet
CX-333 triband at 47 feet.

73 Gene N9TF