[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 06:34:24 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT/FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

    6:  249    77
    2:  272    41
  222:   83    33
  432:   97    30
  903:   46    22
  1.2:   51    23
  2.3:   27    16
  3.4:   20    13
  5.7:   13     9
  10G:    9     5
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  867   269  Total Score = 389,512

Club: Northeast Weak Signal

Comments:

I knew for quite awhile that I might have a conflict for this contest. My
daughter runs track and I coach the Boys track team at our local High School.
The New England Championships were scheduled for Saturday the 13th. My daughter
had qualified in Indoor Track and Cross country so she was hopeful to do the
same for Outdoor track. On Monday before the contest she and 4 of my boys
qualified at our State championship meet so though torn, I figured I ought to
head up to Burlington, VT for the meet. I'm glad I did as my daughter did very
well achieving a Personal Record in her race and earning All New England
honors. Her event ended around 4 and I left as quickly as possible to get home
and operate. With a nearly 300 mile drive I didn't get home until about 8:30.
As I told my OM (W2GKR) beforehand, per Murphy, I can pretty much guarantee
that 6 will be wide open Saturday afternoon.....hi!

As it turned out, I missed the only really good opening for our area during the
contest. 6 was open Sunday morning but it was mostly to low population areas
along the Gulf Coast and later became the Florida QSO party. That was about it
for me other than hearing a couple of Montana stations late Sunday afternoon,
though I couldn't break through their pileups. Missing the rovers in their
grids Saturday afternoon and evening put a big crimp on my grid totals for the
upper bands. I was noticing that 2Ms seemed down especially in some directions.
Only late Sunday afternoon did I realize that the rotor loop must be having a
problem - I had tested it several times and found the SWR fine but the problem
only occurred in certain directions (from 270 degs around to 60 degs). It
explained the gaping holes in my grid maps to the NW, N and NE, hi!

All in all, great to get on as always. Also nice to have the rovers out making
things fun. I will let anyone interested know what part of future contests I
will miss so you can be sure to be on for the openings :).

Jeff K1TEO