[3830] WVQP K8MR MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WVQP K8MR MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:44:09 -0700
                    West Virginia QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR, K3LA
Station: K8MR

Class: MobileMixed LP
QTH: 16 counties
Operating Time (hrs): 5:45

   80:   61      4
   40:  471     36
   20:  117      6
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  649     46  Mults = 46  Total Score = 63,624

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Includes 200 W8WVA bonus points and 1600 mobile bonus points.

By county, in order of operations:

       CW   SSB

JEF    42     3
BER    46    12
HAM     9     6
GRA    41     3
PEN    32     0
RAN    60     7
BAR    41     8
UPS    34     1
LEW    37     0
HAR    49     0
MRN    37     0
MON    43     0
OHI    30     0
BRO    79     0
HAN    24     0

Mults:    33 states/prov    10 counties   3 DXCC

West Virginia is not a state big enough for enough activity to justify a trip
there solely to operate their QSO Party, so I had to look for some other
excuses. I succeeded.  On Friday my friend Barney, K3LA, and I drove to
Breezewood PA to ride on the Bike Pike, a 10 mile section of the PA Turnpike
that was abandoned in 1968 when a new stretch was built to bypass two tunnels.
In recent years bikers have discovered it, now including us. It was a very
enjoyable ride.

On Saturday morning we headed off to W3LPL's annual Open House outside
Baltimore, where we had a good time seeing lots of contester friends as well as
Frank's superstation.  We left there at 2 pm, two hours after the start of the
WVQP to head to WV, driving home through WV while operating the WVQP.

Conditions were surprisingly good.  Lots of short skip on 40, except for an
hour or so around 4 pm. Much of that time was driving around Winchester, VA,
getting from Berkeley to Hampshire county. 20 was also short, lots of qsos as
close as MI.  And thanks to all the TN guys!  Not sure if they really liked the
WVQP or were just on to work their home boy N2WN/N8Q, but their activty was
greatly appreciated.

We drove past a red pickup truck parked at the PEN/RAN line, noticing as we
went by the W8OP call letter plates. But there was a long downhill stretch from
there with no place to stop and turn around, so we never did meet (or work)
them.

We also spent nearly an hour driving through PA to get from MON to OHI without
killing too much time on the slow WV roads.  So between the late start from MD
and the two out of state detours, we only operated a bit over half time.

We missed the Hancock county line, so probably operated an extra ten minutes as
Brooke, but the rates on 80 CW were great in any event.  Because of that we
never had time to get to 40 from Hancock, so sorry to anyone who missed us
because they couldn't work us on 80.

All in all, a very fun weekend.

See you all in the Ohio QSO Party in August!

73  -  Jim   K8MR