[3830] NCCC Sprint K1TN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesdavidcain@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K1TN LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:23:53 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - July 10

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 0,5

   80:   3      3
   40:  12      8
   20:  12     10
-------------------
Total:  27     21  Total Score = 567

Club:

Comments:

Still a newcomer at this. Still using just a 60-ft end-fed wire low in a tree.
Came home from work after lunch, UPS truck brought new (used) Elecraft K3 s/n
248 at 3 p.m. Had never even seen a K3 before, at least not in person. Got it
hooked up and checked out and configured for CW (no filters). Took nap. Woke
up, groggy, what's this? Where's my Ten-Tec Jupiter? Me confused. Jumped into
NS and all went fine until I switched from 20 to 40; one Q and then receiver
went into shock. Noticed meters on auto antenna tuner going nuts. Retuned it.
Next, switched to 80; three Qs, then power supply breaker tripped with four
minutes to go. Ah, well. Looks like the K3 puts out way more than 100 watts,
and my auto antenna tuner/K3 internal tuner (I use both, in series, on 80)
didn't like it. When the K3 wattmeter says 90 watts the MFJ auto tuner says
about 110-115. The NS has been handy for the past couple of months for trying
out new station configurations. Guess maybe I can use the K3's "set power by
band" feature somehow to limit it. More fine-tuning of the aerial coming up
after the Radiosport, too. Tomorrow is another day, as Scarlett said. BTW,
first impression, the K3 is one sweeeeet radio. Thanks to all the contesters
who helped make the K3 what it is.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation