[3830] IARU W5ZL(@N5AW) SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garys@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W5ZL(@N5AW) SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:10:46 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: N5AW

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    2      0
   80:   32      5
   40:  319     77
   20:  350    188
   15:  225     38
   10:   21      3
-------------------------------------
Total:  949    311    100      115  Total Score = 803,670

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Once again, I had the good fortune of operating IARU HF from Marv, N5AW's
world-class single op contest station while he and XYL Judy were away in cooler
climes. And again, I enjoyed the company of lifelong friend Bob, W5EK, who
mounted a SOLP CW effort under his call from a card table set up next to my
operating position in Marv's shack. Each of us carry our own IC-756 Pro II's
out to N5AW along with our laptops, WinKeyers, paddles, and all the trappings,
where we reconfigure the shack for two separate operations swapping antennas
back and forth. We'd done this probably four times before, but Marv's station
continues to evolve, and the antenna complement gets better every year.

As always, we had a "MARVelous" time thanks to N5AW. The antennas were
magnificent, and conditions appeared to be a little better than last year on
the high bands, but atmospheric noise pretty much neutered 160 and 80 where my
numbers were down significantly. By the time my 40 meter turn came up Saturday
night (0200Z) things had slowed down drastically on 20 and I was having a lot
of trouble being heard outside the US. The new 40 meter Moxon yagi Marv added
since last year was an absolute machine gun. I've never seen anything like it.
As I buzzed up and down the band I was hitting almost every S&P Q and new mult
on the first call - seemingly no matter how weak the station was that I was
calling. One call - BANG. It was amazing.

Different this year - I did a lot more running than last, which was almost 100%
S&P. Never had any big rate-making runs (certainly never anything that resembled
a pileup), but I stuck with runs longer this year, less often wondering if I was
wasting precious time CQ'ing than in previous years.

Bottom line - a few more Q's than last year, more mults. And another Walter
Mitty contesting experience for ZedEl. Thanks to Marv and Judy for their
fabulous hospitality, and to my best friend W5EK, for putting up with my
incessant antenna-grabbing.

Note: the N1MM software score summary combines zones and HQ mults so the totals
shown reflect a quick scan of my log and may be off one or two. The totals are
correct.