[3830] IOTA VO1HP SO24CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VO1HP SO24CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 03:46:25 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VO1HP
Operator(s): VO1HP
Station: VO1HP

Class: SO24CW LP
QTH: Freshwater CBN
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   80:   45      20       0        0
   40:  215      38       0        0
   20:  190      36       0        0
   15:    1       1       0        0
   10:    1       1       0        0
Total:  452      96       0        0  Total Score = 282,240

Club:

Comments:

Casual operating combined with other activites made for a full and tiring
weekend.

First opportunity to play with new IC-7200. While not a contest radio it
performed very well.  DSP filters combined with dual PBT elimated all but the
worse QRM.  The dual functions for just about all controls is very intuitive
and doesn't take long to understand.  Picked up the unit on Monday of the
contest week and didn't know if I could get it and the antennas setup in time.
Used WINKEY USB and SDI....and all worked flawlessly. With DSP CW Filter set at
400Hz and NR engaged CW signals would pop out of a totally quiet background.
Output power appears to be in excess of 100W but its hard to say exactly what
it is without an accurate meter.  Only gripe for me is the indented RIT
Control.  The knob is used also to rotate memories .  A non- indent RIT control
would have been a better idea.  Otherwise its a "keeper" ...at least for a
while.

Main antenna used 40/20M vertical ..see article:
(A 20 and 40 Meter Vertical on 'Autopilot' Sept 2005 QST)

80M dipole centre at 40ft fed with open wire .  80 was very noisey and not very
productive for me.  I am suspect about the old KW109 tuner I was using...it
appears to be lossy and will require some further checking.

Worked VO1AU on Bell Island NA198 about 20 km away on five bands. Looked for
VO1CIA on SSB on Carbonear Island about, also NA 198, 2km away but never heard
them.  Heard KG6DX Guam with good sigs but couldn't raise him....also heard
several JA's but no copy me. Did work VK9IR on 40.

Log will be uploaded to LoTW and eQSL today.

Thanks for all the Q's.