[3830] NAQP CW AD1C Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AD1C Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:59:29 -0700

Total:  490   107  Total Score = 52,430

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: Rockies Starters (FT)

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 756 Pro III (100W)
Antenna:   half-G5RV in attic
Software:  WriteLog 10.72
Hardware:  microHAM microKEYER (CW)

One year ago this weekend, I dug the radio out of the box, threw it on a
folding table, hung a 15 meter delta loop from the roof of the basement and
made about 20 QSOs (10/15/20m) in the contest.  It was the first time I had
been on the air since moving from MA to CO in May 2007.  The radio and folding
table are still there, the antenna is now a half-G5RV in the attic, and it's
not as hard "being heard".  I made just over 5,000 QSOs that first year back on
the air!

My goal this year was to pick up SD and WY for my Triple Play Award.  I never
heard WY, but I did work WD0T in SD (on someone else's run frequency) but he's
not in LoTW (yet, right Todd?).

I operated this contest for the first time in January 2009.  In that one I
worked 250 QSOs in 4.5 hours, and although I didn't quite double my QSO total
this time, I'm still happy with the result.

It was fun to see activity on 15m and 10m, though all but a few of my 10m QSOs
were in California.  There was a nice little opening on 15m during which I
worked all W8 states + VE3.

I never heard Vermont, Wyoming or North Dakota.  I also missed VE4-VE6 and VY0,
VY1 and VE8.  I didn't hear that many VE7s either.

I had some fairly good luck changing from running to S/P.  I caught AF4OX in SC
on 20 shortly after QSYing from 40; I found K1AR in NH after abandoning a run
freq on 40 and tuning up from the bottom of the band; I picked up a loud K0RU
in KS on 20m at 0350z, long after everyone else had probably gone to 80.

Thanks to everyone who pulled in my weak signal.  I hope to catch many of the
same people on SSB in two weeks.

73 - Jim AD1C