[3830] WAE CW K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:16:41 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:   76    23    27
   40:  173   202    37
   20:  227   254    41
   15:   35    20    16
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  511   499   121  Total Score = 333,333

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I improved upon the 4BTV from last year: I now have a full sized 20
meter vertical on top of the pole barn's 30x40 foot metal roof.  I can
occasionally run stations on 20 meters.

The ground mounted vertical is back to being a full sized 40 meter
vertical, which works reasonably well on 40.  It won't crack a pileup
first try, but I can be heard.  Using the 40 meter vertical on 15
meters, though, leaves a lot to be desired.

Last year, I said that if I ever got a job again, maybe I could put up
a tower for next year.  I have that job now, but my dual income family
suddenly became single income (for a different reason than job loss),
so the former discretionary money is now required to pay the mortgage.
Anyone have any inexpensive towers or beams for sale?

One gripe: 15 meters was only open to 1s and 4s (and maybe 2s and 3s)
on Saturday.  So when the band finally opened a little wider on
Sunday, why does everyone in Europe want to exchange QTCs rather than
work new people?  I know, I know, they couldn't really tell that there
were more stations to work.

I was celled by 6 different US stations and one VE.  I mistook AN8A as
European early in the test.  He politely QSOed me anyway.

Had 4 nice last minute new multipliers: CU2JT called me 70 minutes
before the end, GW3WWN came back to my feeble CQ in the last half
hour, MU0FAL turned up at the end of the test and QSOed with no
waiting, and TF3DC called me 8 minutes before the end.  Thanks guys!

Rig: IC765, ETO 91B Antennas: 80m: wire hanging on side of 160 meter
vertical over 75 125 foot radials; 40m: ground mounted vertical with
32 quarter wave radials, 20m: quarter wave vertical on pole barn metal
roof, 15m: 40 meter vertical.

I used Writelog since NA doesn't support WAE.  One should never have
to touch the mouse during a contest.  There were only 3 periods of
poorly written Windows application goofiness.  I wish I could still
use NA.