[3830] OhQP K1LT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K1LT SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:28:07 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Fairfield County
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   80:  165     77
   40:  121    135
   20:   67      3
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  353    215  CW Mults = 72  Ph Mults = 74  Total Score = 134,466

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I more than doubled my score from last year!  Of course, last year was
my first time.  Last year I also avoided phone because I dislike phone
and I avoided 75 meters because I didn't have an antenna for that part
of the band, and I don't have a coaxial antenna tuner.

This year, just hours before the test, I added another wire in
parallel with the 2 other 3.5 MHz wires that hang to the side of my
160 meter "T".  I cut the wire for 3.825, and it came out resonant at
3.775, but the rig was happy anyway.  (Paralleling wires causes the
higher frequency wires to be very narrow.)

I started on 40, and alternated between 40 and 20 until early evening.
Then I tried 80 and wow!  Never heard so much activity during daylight
on that band!  I should have been there sooner.

I only worked K8MR mobile just once, when he was just one county over.
I worked W8TK several times, although I could never hear him well.
But Tom is pretty patient.  I worked K8RYU a few times, too, although
I botched the county the first time.  Thanks to the rovers for making
the test interesting.

Jackson County was an easy multiplier this year.

Next year I'll try to have a second radio (looking at squandering some
of the looking-for-a-job reserve money for a K3) and check 80 meters
more often.

Equipment: IC765, ETO 91B (thanks, K8ND), numerous verticals,
Beverages (which are indispensable when all you have is a vertical).