[3830] NCCC Sprint VA7ST LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint VA7ST LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:27:12 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - August 27

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:
   80:   2      2
   40:  20     15
   20:   9      6
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  31     23  Total Score = 713

Club:

Comments:

The verdict is in at this end -- no-dupes does the trick just fine. Best score
in the real NS was week 13 with 792, so I'm pleased with 713 on a no-dupe
night. 31 Qs is about as well as I've managed all year.

Tried to keep the speed higher this time out (mostly 36 wpm) to increase the
count, but seems propagation up this way combined with a slow tuning hand and
SO1R doesn't lend itself to much more than 30 Qs in a half-hour.

Was actually going to try SO2R with the FT920 as second radio, but discovered a
dead front-end on it tonight. Haven't had a feedline attached since I last used
it two weeks ago so don't know what did it, but no signals on receive. Old
warhorse came up lame at last.

40M was in good shape, while 20 was rough with lots of weak signals (Jim N3BB
was booming in here from TX). Still a bit too early to make hay in the final
few minutes on 80. Just two Qs there, but was really pleased to hear the twin
vertical array showing extremely pronounced directivity when switching patterns
tonight monitoring the NCCC net for a while after NS.

Nice to work Tom W7WHY on 40M. Missed him on 80, but then again I didn't get up
to 3640 where for a time he was evaluating the (very) seldom-used 100 khz
spread-out technique, hi.

Managed to draw attention from Locust Peak on 80M at the buzzer for a good one.
Tom and Rick K6VVA were kinda weak tonight up here but both made for mults,
which adds three S-units. Art KZ5D was pretty loud on 40M, as were a lot of
guys (just a dipole at 27' here tonight). Super to hear and work Jim K1TN on
40M.

Great to hear so much activity in the off season. Always amazing how quickly 30
minutes flies by in this thing.