[3830] KsQP K0RU/KC0SKR Mobile MOST LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0ru@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] KsQP K0RU/KC0SKR Mobile MOST LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:48:28 -0700
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: K0RU/KC0SKR
Operator(s): K0RU (ROB) CW & KC0SKR (DEL) SSB
Station: K0RU/KC0SKR

Class: Mobile MOST LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   80:    0      0      0
   40:  290     41      0
   20:  250     96      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  540    137      0  Mults = 37  Total Score = 70,078

Club:

Comments:

Wow ... What a BLAST.   We had alot of fun, thanks to everyone who worked us.

Marshall CO should have never been on our list, we never made it that far west.
 I donâ??t know what I was thinking when I had that on the list.
We swung south out of Nemaha through Pott, never made it over to Marshall.
(Might make for a good weekend run though)

Clay, I had a special request for Clay via email but there was no way I was
going to be able to pull that one off, it was also to far west, I thought a
quick Shot through Riley then maybe after Pott, but it would have been too
tough just couldnâ??t get that one on the schedule.

Lyon, yeah right, my navigator (SSB OP KC0SKR) say, hey take 75 south avoid the
toll road on 335â?¦. Ah Ok, well guess what, when you take 75 south out of
Topeka you miss Lyon county completely where as if we would have stayed on our
original route (I-335 Toll) we would have popped off I-335 right in Lyon and
then jumped back East to 75 Southâ?¦ Oh well, we missed it and just kept
rolling South.

Anderson, Franklin, Miami, Linn â?¦ No way, we ran out of time.  Last call was
Allen/Bourbon and the pileup was nuts.   I ended up cutting several off the
list due to the fact we ran over.. (past 3 pm)   I chopped I think 4 calls from
the log because it was beyond the time limit.   I know I would have easily
racketed up several more if I had another hour.  Sorry for the cut guys.

This was my first time running with a SSB op, Oh My God that is so SLOWâ?¦ Man
I would have fallen asleep if I ever ran counties as a SSB op. Ugh, I donâ??t
know how those people do that.  It was just Way to boring for me, I much rather
enjoy the CW runs better.   Del, KC0SKR loved the SSB runs.  It was his first
time ever to run any counties and at first he was really nervous of course and
stumbled Over this and that but wow he caught on real fast and then he had a
few good runs.  There definitely wasnâ??t as much SSB activity as there was
CW.
Thanks for all the SSB ops who were patient with Del, everyone did great.

I would have to say the most exciting moment was when we hit the ALLEN/BOURBON
county line run.  Obviously we were running out of time and we knew it, so to
conserve and be able to work as many As we could and try to get through
ALLEN/BOURBON line to Anderson (which I really wanted to run, because I knew it
was a â??most wantedâ??) I says to Del, Iâ??m going to run the key/CW and drive
while you Log and weâ??ll run the County line roadâ?¦   Road was an
overstatement, because it was far from being a road, the GPS showed it as a
road, but it was a 2 track cow path.   Now mind you Iâ??m driving my 2005
Lincoln Town car, Rig- Yaesu FT-857d, Antenna (20, 30 & 40 mtr hustler loads) &
Yaesu FC20 Auto Tuner in the trunk.   We start out ok, 25 to 30 MPH this should
be ok, up and down the rolling hills We go on a two track path, winding and
turning as we follow the GPS and the county lineâ?¦ When all of a sudden, â?¦
Where in the world did the road go?    We were looking over a ledge, straight
down a Steep drop off toward a creek bed, that had what you would consider to
be a plank/cement/walk-way wide crossing, or so called bridge? (far from any
bridge Iâ??ve ever seen).

As we break the ledge of the cliff we realize weâ??re already committed to this
deal, and over we go downward toward this so called bridge/plank thingy across
the water way.   Del says, hey it donâ??t look like Its wide enough for your
car, I said lean to one side and roll the car up on 2 wheels â?¦ We laugh and
approach it slowly and realize the car will just barely fit on the planks and
away we went across the Planks â?¦ puckering up thinking the planks would give
way any moment and we would be in the creekâ?¦    They held up and on we went,
we both looked at each other in amazement and that little glare of Stupidity
rang throughout the vehicle for a moment as we said â??Holy  &#!%  we made
itâ?? hahaha

Other than all the DUST in the trunk of my car and Del's finger marks clawed
into the dashboard from hanging on while I was driving 70 MPH and running 35
wpm CW on the fly... The car held up just fine.

Unfortunately we were not able to reach Anderson and the remaining counties in
time the clock ran out.

Maybe next year.

73 Rob â?? K0RU