[3830] TnQP N6ZFO SO Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TnQP N6ZFO SO Fixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:13:07 -0700
                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:    1
   40:   18                    16
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
-----------------------------------
Total:   19     0       0      16  Total Score = 1,012

Club:

Comments:

Most of the day was devoted to filtering verjus in our small winery.  What the
heck is vejus -- translated as "green juice"? Well, its the juice from grapes
picked early for thinning. So XYL wanted to make some verjus this year, for
gifts and for our own use.  It's a salad dressing substitute for vinegar, has a
softer feel because the acids are tartaric and malic rather than acetic.  Also
used to marinate meats, and as a de-glazing liquid.  Well we wanted to clarify
this juice and sterilize it so no fermentation will take place using a filter
system with which we had no previous experience.  Took a long time to get it
right i.e. no leaks, but finally success.  When disconnecting the system, the
pump made an unexpected burp, and xyl got sprayed head to toe with verjus.  So.
. . good for me to retreat to shack for a while to work TN QSO Party.  The goal
was to break 1000 points and work fellow NS'r Ted W4NZ's crew at least once. .
. actually got them twice.

Conditions were marginal on 40 for West Coast low power.  But, thanks to
excellent operating procedure of the TN hams in not giving there calls after
each Q, I did manage a decent rate. K4BP somehow managed to pull me out of the
noise on 80m for an early QSO there at 1900Z. Score included 100 point bonus
for working K4TCG

73 Bill n6zfo