[3830] TnQP N5WR/M SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, erik_martin44@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] TnQP N5WR/M SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:23:12 -0700
                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: N5WR/M
Operator(s): N5WR
Station: N5WR

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: 12 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:  170     33             47
   40:  379    101             47
   20:   81      9             24
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
-----------------------------------
Total:  630    143      0     118  Total Score = 256,768

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

The day began at the Campbell-Scott county line, where I pulled off the highway
onto a side road to get ready for the opening run. I was on my cell phone with
my dad in Oklahoma, checking to see if 20 meters was open (it wasn't), when an
ole boy pulled up beside my car on his ATV to ask me what I was doing. "I'm
just making some radio contacts and I'll be moving along soon." "What kind of
radio?" "Ham radio." That seemed to satisfy him that I wasn't a thief.
Sometimes it is one thing to find what looks like a good stop on Google Maps,
and quite another to actually get there in person. At my Jackson county stop
later in the contest, I was driving down a very narrow but paved county road,
when the road turned into gravel and just seemed to head off into a field with
a bunch of cows. I wasn't sure if I was still on a road or was in someone's
driveway. I figured I wouldn't be there long so pulled off and had a nice run
on CW. The cows didn't seem to mind.

I made one equipment addition to my mobile setup since my last run, an MFJ
screwdriver controller with memory buttons. This allowed me to change bands
much more easily, and also seemed to solve an RF problem I'd been having. I am
also quite pleased with my Hi-Q 4/80 antenna. It performs very well, even on 80
meters. It is mechanically sound as well, surviving a few low hanging branches
and even the McDonald's drive through window after the contest (definitely a
'duh' moment there).

I ended up with a little under 5 hours of CW operating time, and 4 hours of
driving/SSB time. It was night and day difference in rate between the two. It
is much more fun operating CW as a mobile, and it is a pleasure to work the
state QSO party faithful on CW - excellent ops, and very manageable pileups. My
wife has at least entertained the idea of learning to drive a standard, so there
is hope that maybe one day I'll have a driver.

Most QSOs: W0BH (18), WA3HAE (13), WB8JUI (13), K9CS (13), K4BAI (12), W4RQ
(11), KO1U (10), AA4FU (10), K4XU (10), VE3KZ (10)
Most DX: DL3DXX (7), DL5AWI (7), CU2JT (5)
Most TN: N4ARO (8), W4NL (4)

Thanks to everyone for the contacts, it was a fun contest and a welcome break
for me from my clinical training which lately has not left me much time for ham
radio.

73, Erik N5WR