[3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:32:03 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 2

   80:   71
   40:   43
   20:    0
---------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC

Comments:

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Stowe, VT, this weekend, so I just had
to take some radio stuff along. Passing out a usually rare Sprint multiplier
seemed like a very worthy project.

I was able to pack the IC-746, dipoles, accessories, a couple of VHF antennas,
etc., into the Prius without my wife noticing until I pulled out the stuff to
set up the HF antenna before the wedding on Saturday afternoon. She groused a
bit, but less than I might have expected. I used an 80/40 dipole at about 25
feet, about 100 feet behind the motel down in the lowlands of Stowe.

I got back from the wedding reception about 0200z and fired up.  Conditions
sounded good, with loud signals as close as W8 on 40 meters when I first got
on. 80 was likewise good.  I had a bit of a scare when I worked K2LE, but he
was back home in NY, not spoiling my rareness in VT. Clearly my low dipole was
not a band buster, but it worked well enough to have fun.  I enjoyed all the
"VT?"  followed by "FB".

I had also hoped to get up to Mt. Mansfield (4000 ft ASL) for a couple of hours
of the VHF contest, but that did not work out. I ended up with one qso on six
meters from the motel parking lot.

73  -  Jim  K8MR