[3830] NA Sprint SSB K0DXC LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0dxc@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB K0DXC LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:18:08 -0700
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - September

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Lid Land
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

   80:  15
   40:  10
   20:   2
---------------------
Total:  27     Mults = 18  Total Score = 486

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #1

Comments:

RIG: PRO3
Antenna: 6BTV, Dipole
Software: Win-Test

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

75 METER LSB IS THE FUNNIEST, BEST STUFF I'VE EVER HEARD! (The best stuff on
the radio.) TRUE COMEDIANS, I TELL YOU!

Before I talk about 75 meters, I'll give you my summary of the actual
contest...

Blahâ?¦

Blah...

Blah...

Blah...

20 meters = terrible. Only 2 QSOs with my vertical / dipole setup. Not many
stations to work and the ones that I could hear had a hard time hearing me.

40 meters = tons of carriers, broadcast stations, and crap. Very annoying. The
PRO3's band scope was just about useless because of all the random stuff on the
air. There didn't seem to be many stations on 40 either.

75 meters = LOUD signals, but too many rag chewers! I couldn't find many guys
who were actually IN the contest! Everyone was either on 3850 or 3855....
SPREAD OUT, IT WILL BENEFIT US ALL!

OKOKOKOKOKOK, now I shall speak of my glorious findings on 75!

So I'm tuning around on 75 meters, and I'm not going to say where I was to keep
the roundtable / net secret but I stumbled across a group of about 6 hams
talking back and forth while I was trying to find a new frequency to call CQ
on.

Letâ??s be honest, for me, the SSB sprint is not a great contest. I like phone,
but I don't get out very well with my antennas. Because the contest wasn't going
to well, I decided to listen in to these guys talking.

It proved to be a very GOOD time investment!

Right off the bat they were talking about how to handle being QRM'd (they
referred to it as "quermed") by other stations. We were in the middle of a
SPRINT so guys - !dem idiot contesters! were jumping around all over the
place!

The conversation went well and they all agreed that the best way to deal with
QRM is to simply ignore it. I second this. However, my method is a little
different because when someone calls me out on the air (surprisingly, it
happens a lot to me on 20 SSB) about being stupid or about being a NEWBIE LID
or about lieing about my age (yes, some people don't believe I'm 15) or about
not knowing anything about ham radio or about.... ANYWAYS, I will DEBATE the
QRMer! Seriously! I will argue with the lid. Then when I win the argument (I
always win) the lid will leave.

Anyone who knows me personally will tell you that I could have a future as a
lawyer. I've considered it but I ruled it out because I would kill myself if I
had to attend 8 years of law school. One of these days I need to keep my
recording program running while I'm casually operating on 20 meters so I can
capture one of these lid debates. It's good stuff.

Anyways, after this the group started talking about someone who had been QRMing
them recently. Someone referred to this lid as a cuss word. This was the start
of a new debate - are people allowed to cuss on the air???!!!

Five minutes later they decided that it was against FCC rules to cuss on the
air, but their friend who actually did cuss was OK because he is in Canada so
"we don't have jurisdiction over him!" By the way, they must have forgotten
about this rule because everyone let a few words slip throughout the course of
the conversation. Heck, I don't even think they cared. When someone broke in
and said that he was recording the conversation they all replied, "NOW I HAVE
TO CHANGE MY CALL AGAIN!"

LOL!

Right after this happened Karl, K9BGL (Karl, I hope you don't mind me
"publishing" your call) called CQ SPRINT near the frequency. I am sure that
Karl was simply trying to quickly find a new frequency and he was in no way
intending to cause QRM. The rest of the group, however, instantly assumed he
was intentionally "querming" their conversation. They followed their querm rule
and began calling Karl and asking him if he wanted to join in. This was very
nice, and friendly. Karl had tuned away right when he heard the frequency was
in use, so *I* decided I would jump in.

Yeah, I know. My 1st 75M round table! Was I nervous? Heck no!

I called; they invited me to join them. I quickly explained what Karl
*accidentally* did and they accepted this. Then they asked me what the "SPRINT"
was. I spent the next 10 minutes explaining the sprint and answering their
questions. Their first response was, "WOW! A contest where people jump around
and cause QRM?! I need to start contesting!"

I did not portray the sprint to be some sort of lid-fest, but I guess that's
what they take it to be. Oh well. I tried!

They asked me a few more questions about contesting and then I told them I
needed to sign off. Everyone was friendly toward me and I like those guys.

After this the conversation went into many different directions. I'm not going
to tell you everything because it would be a waste of my time to type it out
and I would never put explicit stuff on 3830.

What made things even more interesting was that every 5 minutes you could hear
somebody sending â??DE W5ASSâ?? in CW at about 15 â?? 20 WPM.

Honestly, Iâ??m almost tempted to regularly tune into these guys. I just
donâ??t have the time.

Donâ??t mistake me; Iâ??m not ranting on 75M groups. They are quite
entertaining! I have nothing against any one of them.

On another note, thanks to everyone for the QSO(s)! Hope to see you in SS CW!

If any of you are looking for MORE sprint action on a weekly basis see
http://www.ncccsprint.com/ - they even have a NEWCOMER division when the ladder
competition starts!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this! Comments are always welcome.

Very 73,

Cal, K0DXC

http://k0dxc.com
k0dxc@k0dxc.com

NOTE: Everything you read here is 100% true. Maybe I missed a word in a quote,
but all of this is too stupid to make up. I wasted 45 minutes of my life typing
everything out.