[3830] Salmon Run W0BH SOMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run W0BH SOMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:55:08 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1      0      0
   80:   12     14      0
   40:   17      5      0
   20:   41    203      3
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:   71    222      3  Mults = 37  Total Score = 28,880

Club:

Comments:

Score includes 1500 bonus points for a triple play with W7DX.

Another enjoyable Salmon Run in the books!  Conditions were excellent from
Kansas to Washington all weekend long although I ran out of new folks to work
fairly quickly. NA reports my operating time as 11:12, but I'm sure it was
considerably more than that since I have my off-timer set to 15 minutes and it
wasn't unusual to go 15 minutes without a Q.

Saturday evening, I switched from the Salmon Run to SSB Sprint for four hours.
Since I operate HP in the Sprint and LP in the Salmon Run, I couldn't count Qs
for both.  A number of WA stations I tried to work again just DUPED me so I
finally gave up trying.  From Washington, the Sprint would be a great way to
get a quick boost to your score because everyone in Sprint is desperate for
contacts after the first couple of hours.  You don't have to enter Sprint, just
give out a serial number along with your regular report.  Since 20m was really
long at 0000Z, I ran out of Sprint contacts after about 15 minutes, but I did
hear a "CQ Salmon Run" from a call I didn't recognize.  I turned off the amp,
switched over to my SR log, and was very surprised to log Ferry county, one of
four I still needed!

Overall, I worked 37/39 counties and missed Lincoln and Pend Oreille.  I knew
W7WMO/m was heading to Lincoln, but when the rate meter dropped to 7 on Sunday
afternoon, I headed into Hesston College to open up the computer lab for the
students.  When I returned 45 minutes later, I'd missed Lincoln.  Later, I
worked an op who gave me "59 Washington".  When I asked his county, he said "I
live in Lincoln county."  I happily typed in LIN in the computer when he added,
"but I'm visiting a ham friend and am actually in Grant county using his
station!"  I've also been skunked on Pend Oreille county 3 years in a row now.
I worked a number of ops in Stevens county, so perhaps next year one of them
could mobile over there and no doubt generate a huge pileup!

I worked six or seven mobile stations, but only three that I know of were
actually out mobiling for the SR.  Special thanks to Tom and Jim in NU7J/m for
11 Qs.  I had one Q each with KK7JL/m and W7WMO/m.  W7AML also came through
again in the southeast corner with Columbia, Garfield, and Asotin counties ..
good work! Overall I worked 221 unique calls.

Other top stations to thank include:

6 W7DX
5 N7KE N7PP W7AML
4 K7QQ W7FLY W7PRC

And thanks to the Western Washington DX Club members and all the ops who worked
hard so they could play hard in another fun Salmon Run!

See you all again next year ...

73, Bob, w0bh