[3830] Salmon Run NU7J Rover Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nu7j@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run NU7J Rover Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:59:06 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: NU7J
Operator(s): NU7J, K9JF
Station: NU7J

Class: Rover Multi-Op LP
QTH: WAH, etc
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:   32     58
   40:  122      1
   20:  111     46
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  265    105      0  Mults = 72  Total Score = 92,016

Club: BEARONS

Comments:

K9JF and I teamed up for an NU7J/m multi-op Salmon Run Rover operation.  We set
up camp at a campsite in Wahkiakum County (WAH), a small county on the Columbia
River.  Propagation was lousy most of the time, but at least it was a quiet
location with no nearby power lines.  I selected the campsite that had the most
convenient antenna supports, including a 30 foot flagpole to support the 80M
doublet.  There was a large hill immediately behind our campsite to the north,
which probably wasnâ??t helpful, but it was a clear shot in other directions.
The view overlooking the Columbia River was outstanding.  We spent most of
Saturday mobiling around Wahkiakum, Pacific, Grays Harbor, Thurston, Lewis, and
Cowlitz counties.  A highlight was having an enjoyable eyeball QSO with the W7PU
multi-op crew (Grays Harbor County) on our drive through Grayland.  The W7PU
club had a nice antenna setup using a trailer mounted tower.  Another highlight
was when we stumbled across a restaurant that served FB oysters, with secret
spices cooked over the fire on the sidewalk outside the restaurant.  Their clam
chowder was FB too.  The weather was great and we enjoyed a short walk to the
beach at Grayland State Park.  K9JF managed to work Timor (4W) for a new
band-country on 30M before the contest started on Sunday.  I kept Jim well fed
at the campsite with Dinty Moore stew, hamburgers and hot dogs.  It didnâ??t
occur to me to cook a salmonâ?¦then again most of them were on the radio this
weekend and were probably suffering from RF burns.

75M was a lot of fun on Sunday morning, with a steady pileup at times and lots
of new WA county mults.  We took the antennas down around noon on Sunday to
break camp.  I managed to make a few more Qâ??s on 20M SSB on the drive home,
through WAH, COW, THU, PIE and KING.  Unfortunately the key jack on my 857
failed on Sunday morning so I wasnâ??t able to work CW from the van.  I
didnâ??t hear many stations on my drive home, but I did work W0BH a few more
times, and also worked JA1BK (S9 plus 20dB!) while driving through downtown
Seattle on I-5.  We greatly appreciated the 10 or 11 Qâ??s from W0BH.  I
thought that was an impressive feat until I read on W0BHâ?? qrz.com write-up
that he worked N8II 97 times in the KS QSO Party!  Looking forward to better
band conditions for the next one!  Thanks to everyone for working us from the
rover.

Tom (NU7J) and Jim (K9JF)