[3830] CQ WW RTTY AE5PW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AE5PW SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:32:30 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AE5PW
Operator(s): AE5PW
Station: AE5PW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  104   128       38       7     6
   40:  298   462       44      45    18
   20:  220   416       30      47    19
   15:   45   118        5      25    15
   10:    6    16        1       3     3
Total:  673  1140      118     127    61  Total Score = 348,840

Club:

Comments:

My goal for this year was quite simple - to make 500 QSOs and to have a higher
score than last year.  I surpassed the goal and ended up with 673 QSOs, as well
as a new DXCC entity (Andorra) and a total of 15 new entities on various bands.
My score doubled from last year.

The conditions here in Arkansas were odd, as I didn't see much from the middle
of the USA.  Most of my domestic contacts were west coast or New England
states.    On the DX side, I was pleased (and surprised!) by the sheer number
of DX stations that I saw. I would assume that the sunspots and increased solar
flux caused more DX stations than usual to get on and see what those little
black dots on the sun were causing down here on earth.

I saw 10 meters open to South America for a while with an Argentina station
that had a S9 signal for several hours on Sunday.  Too bad not many stations
(domestic or DX) were on 10m. On 15m, it was almost strictly DX.  I made 45
QSOs on 15m and nearly all of them were outside the USA.  10, 15 and 20m all
seemed long to me. 40m was a hotbed of activity, both local and DX.  On 80m, I
can't complain about making 100+ QSOs using a 25 foot tall vertical.

I didn't see VT, ID, DE, SC, or OK on any bands. What I enjoyed most about this
contest was the non-stop activity. I could tune through whatever bands were open
and find RTTY from segment-edge to segment-edge. Each time I tuned through I
could find new stations that I hadn't worked before.  When I was tired of S&P,
I could call CQ and get lots of takers.

The typical Sunday afternoon slow time was not present for me in this contest.
I stayed busy through the final couple of hours and made lots of great contacts!
 Other commitments took away a few hours of operating time on Saturday, or I
could have easily reached the 700  QSO mark. Thanks to everyone who worked this
little gun station.

My very simple setup is a Yaesu FT950 running 100 watts to a Butternut HF9V
ground mounted vertical antenna.  No tower, no beam, no amp.

Hopefully the solar conditions will continue to improve, and next year we will
see much more activity on 10 and 15.

           80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %
    NA      98    240    144     14      1     497    73.8
    AF       3      2      3      2      0      10     1.5
    EU       2     42     62      9      0     115    17.1
    SA       1     11      7     18      5      42     6.2
    AS       0      2      2      0      0       4     0.6
    OC       0      1      2      2      0       5     0.7