[3830] TxQP K5WAF/M SO CW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, WAFrink@msn.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5WAF/M SO CW Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:20:34 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5WAF/M
Operator(s): K5WAF
Station: K5WAF

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9.25

  160:
   80:
   40:   95
   20:  556
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  651     0       0  Mults = 72  Total Score = 140,616

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

This turned out to be a 1 day event â?? CW Mobile only â?? K5WAF op, W5PF drove.
 We got 9 ¼ hr op time, ran 19 counties and accumulated 651 Qâ??s.

Actually we didnâ??t know we were even going to go mobile until last Thursday.
 NO5W sent note saying that the operation planned for the counties north and
east of Houston had to be scrubbed and asked if we would go mobile in those
counties.  I agreed and called Paul, W5PF who also agreed.  So we had 1 Day to
plan and get ready.  Initial thoughts were that we would op SSB as W5PF/m and
CW as K5WAF/m but getting into it, we only operated CW.  Paul developed the
maps and I got the equipment ready in my 2001 PT Cruiser with 185,000 mile on
it (a bit chancy!!!) and off we went Saturday morning.

It all came off like clock work with a 577 mile route.  Everything worked
(including the car), the weather was great, the driving was excellent and
traffic wasnâ??t a problem.  And despite the fact that we could not find the
computer to transceiver interface cables, operating everything manually worked
ok â?? in spite of the bumps in the road â?? that is if everyone out there
could tolerate what sounded like a bad fist!

Results â?? 651 QSOâ??s from 39 states (584Qâ??s or 90%), 3 provinces (28 Qâ??s
or 4%), 8 DX entities (39Qâ??s or 6%) but only 23 Texas Counties.  We operated
100% CW on 20 M (556Qâ??s or 85%) and 40 M (95Qâ??s or 15%).  40 M was a total
mess with the CQ WW RTTY contest which covered the band all the way down to
7.025.  Finding an opening that wasnâ??t being blasted by RTTY was
problematic.

Observations:
1. Only heard 1 other TX Mobile the whole time!

2. Made contacts with 216 unique call signs.  N6MU took the cake with 18 Qâ??s
â?? only missed 1 county.   KV8Q and NT2A had 17 Qâ??s each, W0GXQ had 16, N1LN
(Bruce) and WA3HAE had 13, DL5AWI had 12, DL3DXX and KM1C (Bill) had 11 and
N3KR, VE3KP, W7GVE and W9MSE had 10 each.

3. Qâ??s in each county were fairly well balanced â?? a low of 15 Qâ??s in SABI
and a high of 61 Qâ??s in WALK.

4.  W4 land was the most active for us with 109 Qâ??s (19%), followed by W8
land (83 Qâ??s or 14%), W6 land (63Qâ??s or 11%).  We were a bit surprised at
the low participation by our neighbors up north in VE land.

5. The Germans were surprisingly strong and both DL3DXX and DL5AWI did a great
job finding us.  We also had Qâ??s with CU, HK, OK, F, HA, SP and SM.

So Saturday ended and TQP was history for us.  For me, I was given a one day
reprive on a Saturday and Sunday commitment to help renovate my sonâ??s
bathroom, so I made up for lost time on Sunday.

Paul and I had a blast.  We probably should think about doing both days next
year â?? with a bit more than 1 day to plan.