[3830] CQ WW RTTY W2FU M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W2FU M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 04:01:27 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W2FU
Operator(s): N2WK,K2TJ,K0SM,N2CU,N2ZN,WA2TMC,K2DB,WB2ABD,W2FU
Station: W2FU

Class: M/M HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 48

   80:  663  1138       56      58    20
   40: 1275  2601       58      88    28
   20: 1386  3615       50     111    36
   15:  492  1063       43      75    24
   10:   50    92       15       9     6
Total: 3866  8509      222     341   114  Total Score = 5,760,593

Club: Rochester DX Association

Comments:

Great contest in spite of real tough conditions on most bands most of the time.
Our first M/M on RTTY and only the 2nd RTTY we have participated in. Other was
M/S back in 2002.

Great battle back and forth with K1TTT and congrats to our "neighbor" team over
in Peru for a spirited competition that unfolded on GetScores for the full 48
hours.  When the overnite crew left us Sunday AM with nearly 300K lead, we were
pretty confident.  BUT that evaporated over the next few hours as 20 just never
opened to EU here in WNY until 11 am or so.  It took all afternoon and then a
great last three hours with some 10 meter Qs and Ms and quite a few new mults
on other bands to push us back in front by a narrow margin.

Quite a bit of learning and some start-up issues, but overall, stuff worked
well and we only "lost" one amp (a 1960s 3-1000Z non-amateur) to the duty
cycle, and one computer. (P3 just won't cut it on RTTY apparently)  The new K3
worked extremely well on 40 meters.  Both 20 and 15 had startup problems that
prevented QSOs for the first 30-40 minutes on each of these bands until we got
them cleared up.

FWIW - It took about 5 minutes to get the amp replaced and running with most of
that the warm-up time on the AL-1500.  It took nearly an HOUR to swap the
computer, get all the interfaces working and the 80 meter log recovered!

We had a great team of experienced W2FU operators and we did a lot of swapping
around from band-to-band to keep stations on the air.  Getting the station
"ready" this early in the season, should help us later too.  The Beverages went
up Friday, the new 15 meter stack is only 1/3 completed with 2 beams still on
the ground.

Thanks to the RTTY experience of N2WK, the setup and integration of everything
went pretty well.  I spent most of the contest fixing, making better, and
installing the TIC Ring for the middle 15 antenna.

Great operating by all....N2WK, WA2TMC, K2TJ, N2ZN, K2DB, K0SM, N2CU, WB2ABD

CU you in CQWW -

Jeff