[3830] CQ WW RTTY P49X(@P40L/P49Y) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0yk@msn.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY P49X(@P40L/P49Y) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:18 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: P49X
Operator(s): K6AW, W6OTC, W0YK
Station: P40L/P49Y

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Aru
Operating Time (hrs): 48

   80:  372   1107       47      53    16
   40: 1235   3674       58      84    28
   20: 1806   5386       58      97    33
   15: 1021   3023       57      82    26
   10:   22     49        6       9     6
Total: 4454  13231      224     326   109  Total Score = 8,600,000

Club:

Comments:

Mother Nature nearly prevented me from making it to Aruba for this contest.  The
normal harvest period for my Pinot Noir vineyard is early September, but this
year the last full day of harvest ended up being just prior to our 6am flight
the next day.  I was exhausted getting on the plane and thankfully I had
planned to do an M2 this time with K6AW and W6OTC.  Despite depressed band
conditions, we are pleased with our effort effort from Aruba.  It was fun to
extend my normal SO2R configuration to Multi-Two.  The three of us entered this
category from HC8N in 2007, and decided to try it from this more modest
station.

Although the details differ, the overall results above are similar to what has
been achieved in recent years from HC8N in this contest.  We were, of course,
disappointed in the ten-meter numbers.  Mid-week, the band opened to the US
late in the day but the subsequent solar disturbance kept the band closed until
Sunday when it simply teased us with a very few contacts.  We listened on 10
meters for hours and gave it every chance possible on Sunday but we could hear
very little to work.  Another disappointment was 80-meters where yours truly
probably left another 100 QSOs on the band.  The conditions on both 40 and 80
were challenging, with most signals just below the decoder's threshold and
sounding very hollow and mushy with lots of QSB.  We changed AGC and MMTTY
decoder algorithms with little relief.  This, coupled with my fatigue, resulted
in less than sterling numbers.  I was fine on the higher bands, but the tough
conditions on 80 were more than I had energy to deal with!

Thanks to John, P40L (W6LD), and Andy, P49Y (AE6Y), for use of their station.
Also, to local managers and friends J-P, P43A, and his wife Chris, P43C.
Finally, I had a ball this weekend with Steve and Glenn!

Ed - W0YK/P49X