[3830] CQ WW RTTY VY2SS SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VY2SS SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:10:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VY2SS
Operator(s): VY2SS
Station: VY2SS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 30

   80:  132   279       31      21    10
   40:  181   431       40      42    15
   20:  856  2154       48      75    21
   15:   75   179       22      30    16
   10:    1     1        1       1     1
Total: 1245  3044      142     169    63  Total Score = 1,138,456

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first contest for my new K3. It's going to be a while before I
reach for a knob and get the right one. It performed very well on RTTY but the
real test will be CQWW CW.

The contest started badly for me.  I made only 18 QSOs on 40M in the first
hour. I should have started the contest on 20M. I hope I read this next year.

I surpassed my 2008 score by only 11,000 points in the last few minutes of the
contest.  That is about 10 QSOs. I was in the chair for 30 hours.  This was
much more than last year but necessary to make up for problems with my yagi.  I
had to point it at Europe and work NA/SA off the back. An intermittant
connection up there had to have the wind on it just right to keep the SWR down
low enough to use it. The KT-34A and saltwater environment donâ??t mix very
well.

My overall rate was 41.4 QSO/hr.  My best hour was:
09/26 1600Z - 1.4 per minute  - 84 per hour

Although I brag about the performance of my two dollar 40M elevated vertical
made from 5 x 33 foot pieces of wire hanging from my 56 foot tower, I am
starting to think I need more tools on that band. My 80M tower vertical worked
great but 80 and 40 would both benefit from a higher angle antennas to get the
regional multipliers.

Well , VA2UP Fabi did it to me again.  Is it the SO2R?  Or he is just a better
operator than me.  Maybe both?  I did mangage to close the gap by a small
amount. Next year Fabi!

Thanks to all who made it into my log (30 from Japan). And also thanks to the
contest sponsors.

-Robby
VY2SS