[3830] TxQP K5YAA SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@okdxa.org
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5YAA SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:21 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    0     0       0
   40:  264     3       0
   20:  661     1       0
   15:    2     0       0
   10:    0     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
  UHF:    0     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  927     4       0  Mults = 86  Total Score = 260,822

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

I'm getting it figured out now.  Next QSO Party where I may have to do the
driving I believe I will spring for a limo with driver for both days.  That
plan will allow me to continuously be on the air and I will have someone to
gripe at if we stray from the intended path.  Might be a costly one but should
produce more Qs.

Took me a while to find my way out of Gladewater< TX - at least to get going in
the direction of RUSK county.  Once I made it to RUSK I realized that I was
running behind my estimated schedule of counties so I went east and did not go
into NACODOCHES county.  Glad I did because my time wasting road mistakes
weren't over quite yet.  I went past my left turn to the west to go into MORRIS
county and went all the way to Atlanta, TX in CASS county.  Another 30 - 45
minutes burnt - except by this time I had put the laptop aside and was on the
air as I drove with bug and pencil so was putting a few more Qs in the log.
Made it to Mt. Pleasant - TITUS county with part of the last hour to spare and
decided to check in for the night.  Seems Mt. Pleasant has had a big time June
Bug problem this summer.  There were hundreds of them around the motel.  The
desk clerk said they were much worse a month ago!  Hmmm - crunch, crunch as I
went to the room which amazingly had NO june bugs in it.

Next morning the WX was perfect again and I wanted to go back to using the
laptop so that's how I operated the 5 ( supposed to have been 6 ) hours on
Sunday.  I had 2 PM in my head as the party end time - I think because in the
spring we end the OKQP at 2PM which is the same Zulu time but with 6 instead of
5 hours difference... Oh well, I used that last hour well as it put me closer to
home than I oterwise would have been.

I did enjoy the run through East Texas.  I hadn't been there in nearly 20
years.  Stopped once in a while and did admire the pine trees under very nice
weather conditions.

Thanks to all who called - I was pleasantly surprised with the strength of the
DX signals.  SP, DL, GD, CU, HK F, EA, ON, HA, UX and UA3 all made it in the
log severa more than once.  Missed the following states.  VT, ND, SD, NE, AK,
HI and MS.

Worked only 3 Canadian provinces ON, QC and NS.  15 meters was open on Sunday
but couldn't gather a crowd.  Lot's of CQing but no takers.

Thanks to the sponsors of the Texas QSO Party and a special thanks to Chuck
NO5W for his efforts at getting the Lone Star State on the air.

K5YAA