[3830] TxQP N1LN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP N1LN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:52:51 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   11      0      0
   40:   67    112      0
   20:  149    295      0
   15:    0      1      0
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  227    408      0  Mults = 182  Total Score = 286,454

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I would like to start off by thanking all the Texas mobile ops for making this
contest the fun that it is every year.  Of my 635 Qs, a total of 229, or 36%
were with mobiles.  Also, my score includes 14,000 bonus points from 28 five
county groups from the mobiles.  Indeed well done.

You will note that there is ONE 15 meter Q in my log.  Thanks to John, N5JB in
Coln county, for making that possible.  We worked on 20 SSB and he suggested we
give 15 a try.  Why not. I made a quick QSY to 15, without the amp, and we could
not hear each other.  Then I quickly tuned the amp on 15 and we made the Q.
That was to be the only 15 meter Q for the weekend.  I tried a few more times
with other fixed stations, but the 15 meter trip was not to be made again.

When I shut down on Saturday night I was ahead of last years Q count by 66, but
the mults were down by 4 and the mobile bonus counts were only at 7.  I spent
some time making a tracking form for the mobiles so I could log each new bonus
eligible Q separately.  That worked.  Throughout Sunday I focused on mobile
bonus points, running SSB on 20 and working new counties.  As I was running
SO2R it made that a bit easier, especially as my towers are far enough apart to
have both rigs on the same band.  Even with the amps I could have one K3 running
on one mode and the other K3 doing S/P on the other mode.  I was using a
Tennadyne T10 at 105' and HyGain 204BAs at either 105' or 68'.  This might have
been my most successful SO2R outing to date.  I typically have big issues
coordinating my hands, feet, ears and the stuff between my ears.  SO2R is a
challenge for me.

In closing, I would like to thank the NARS Club for once again sponsoring the
TQP and especially Chuck - NO5W - for the outstanding job he has done promoting
TQP, updating the web site, posting the mobile routes, and making presentations
around the state to get keep the interest up.

73 from North Carolina (or as I sometimes say - FAR EAST TEXAS),

Bruce - N1LN
(ex: K5PTC, aka: NC4KW)