[3830] TxQP K5END SO CW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5end@att.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5END SO CW Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:14:32 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5END
Operator(s): K5END
Station: K5END

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  123     0       0  Mults = 26  Total Score = 18,152

Club:

Comments:

We're sort of new at the QSOP/M thing but we did venture forth into TXQP.
Hurricane IKE preempted my plans for TXQP last year, so I was glad to get to
work it this year. Among the various trials by ordeal in this adventure, I
found myself at the bottom of some gnarly pile ups. That was a new experience
and I did the best I could. But dang it, it's not easy to keyboard or key in a
bouncing vehicle while dealing with all the other issues of doing a mobile
contest. To call it a challenge would be an understatement.

QRM/N was not bad for us, but QSB was pretty heavy. My antenna is having 40 m
issues, so we were 20-m on both days. It seemed to work OK, as we logged coast
to coast CONUS, some Canadian Provinces and I logged my first European
contact.

Setting up for mobile required more time that I had planned for, so we got a
very late start. Once we got on the road a huge amount of time was spent on
technical issues. I was on the air for 5 hours at the most during the two days.
By the end of the contest we had covered only about 2/3 of the counties planned
originally for the FIRST day and none of the counties planned for the second
day route. We DID, however, activate the counties for which we were the only
operators who had announced intentions to include on the route. It seemed like
more than a few OM were waiting for this, because it was in these counties I
found myself under the pileups, especially on the second day.

The weather was perfect and it was good to get away from the Houston rat race
for a few days. I'm exhausted, but I DO plan to be mobile in TQP again next
year. This was a blast.

73
LDK