[3830] EU Sprint SSB 4U1ITU(KE3X) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] EU Sprint SSB 4U1ITU(KE3X) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:38:38 -0700
                    EU Autumn Sprint, SSB

Call: 4U1ITU
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: 4U1ITU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ITU Geneva
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0

   80:    0      0.0
   40:   84      1.0
   20:   32      3.0
---------------------
Total:  116   Total Score = 116

Club:

Comments:

That was good fun!   After playing around in the EU SSB sprint in Spring 2009, I
figured that SO2R and moving stations across all 3 bands would the way to go
this time (not moving Mults - moving Stations!)   Also I knew I would never
beat HB9DUR (good job again this time Andy!), so the only chance to win a
'Country' certificate would be to drive down to 4U1ITU :-)

However, this was to be SO1R only, since 4U1ITU is not wired for SO2R at the
moment:  our IC-765 is in the shop and only has the IC-756 PRO available.
Worse yet, the Cushcraft vertical would not load at all on 80M - I could not
hear any stations at all, and zero QSO's on 80.   No amplifier either - this
one was Low Power.

Highlights included starting off the contest by working Stew JY6ZZ, then later
being called by Rachid CN8YE, Bob 5B4AGN and Fraser MM6BAE/M on the road in his
lorry.   Things were dying at the start of the 4th hour, but then at about 1915Z
someone must have spotted me calling CQ up around 7.166 since the rate jumped
from 25 per hour up to 60, even while I was moving 4khz each time to conform to
the QSY rule.   I guess the unique callsign helped, plus the only good takoff
angle from 4U1ITU is to DL, SP and UA, NorthEast across the lake - we have big
mountains surrounding Geneva in all the other directions.   I heard very few US
stations, and didn't get any of them in the contest log.

Curious how the other stations did - I could not listen to the post-contest
score reports on 80M SSB this time since no antenna.  Congrats to Fil CT1ILT
for the highest QSO total I heard - hope you had power for all 4 hours this
time!

Thanks for all the QSO's.  The log will be uploaded to LOTW this week for
anyone who needs 4U1 confirmed.   See everyone next weekend on CW!

73, Ken KE3X