[3830] CaQP AE6Y(@K6TA/K6KO) SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrewfaber@ymail.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP AE6Y(@K6TA/K6KO) SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:05:08 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: AE6Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: K6TA/K6KO

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: Amador
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    23     18
   80:   192    226
   40:   332    168
   20:   396    532
   15:   162    296
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1105   1240  Mults = 58  Total Score = 333,442

Club: Mother Lode DX and Contest Club

Comments:

First, a huge thank you to Ken, K6TA, and Kay, K6KO, for their outstanding
hospitality in hosting me at their lovely home, conveniently located on a
ridgetop location at 2700 feet ASL in the foothills, about 130 miles east of my
Bay Area flatland location.  Great location, great station, excellent
conversation outside of the contest, and Kay kept me supplied with food and
drink during the contest.  Not to mention even going to the trouble of making a
superb etouffee (from the net: "Definition: A spicy and delicious Cajun stew
traditionally made with crawfish, vegetables and a dark roux. �touffée is
usually served over rice. The word comes from the French étouffer, which means
to smother.") Friday night.

  And thanks to Ken for being so tolerant as I tore apart all the speacial SO2R
cabling that normally resides at the station, substituting my own version, which
interfaces specially with my logging software.

  I had despaired of competing with the big guns from my home location, and
instead had entered low power the last two years.  I had hoped to put a good
second-tier score from Ken's and Kay's, noting that W6YI seems to be alone in
the first tier (confirmed Saturday night when he gave me a contact total some
500 Qs higher than mine).  Congratulations are due to several guys who were
consistently ahead of me during the contest, but particularly to K6YT and N6TV
for record-breaking CW scores.

  The weekend started auspiciously: when I arrived at 3 p.m., Ken casually
asked if I still needed Glorioso, mentioning that they were on 20 phone and
workable from the West Coast.  Well, I had been stalking (but never even
hearing) them for two weeks, as it is literally the last DXCC country that I
needed.  10 minutes later, they were in the log!

  The contest itself was the usual exciting but friendly activity.  Thanks to
all the out-of-staters who get on and make it so enjoyable.  This year, the TX
stations, and particularly the VE3s, were really out in force. My downfall
always seems to be an inability to get massive phone runs going on 20 or 40.
This year, Saturday was unpleasant due to a constant S7 noise level, seemingly
from atmospheric activity (there was an electrical storm to the north of us,
and it actually rained a bit Saturday night).  That made picking stations out
on 20 phone very difficult.  Sunday was much better, with lower noise, and also
with 15 delightfully open for pretty much the entire day.

  Mults seemed easier to come by then usually, except for NT --- thanks so much
to VE8EV who called in Sunday morning on 20 phone and gave me number 37.

  Another year, another great contest! Thanks for all the Qs (and to Ken and
Kay, "thanks for all the fish").

  73, Andy, AE6Y

Rig: K3x2, Alpha 87A, 91B
Ant: 5 el 15, 5 el 20, 2 el40, 1 el 80, inv vee 160
Software: CQPWIN ver. 11.1