[3830] PaQP K1TN Single Op CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesdavidcain@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP K1TN Single Op CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:16:06 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op CW LP
QTH: SNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:   23
   80:   78
   40:   88
   20:   19
   15:    1
   10:    0
    6:
    2:
-------------------------------------
Total:  209     0       0        0  Mults = 52  Total Score = 19,354.0

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to the Nittany Amateur Radio Club, especially for offering a CW ONLY
category. I think all major QSO parties should do likewise. I am sending them a
few bucks to help with expenses.

I did better than I expected, considering how close I'm located to the target
area; I can practically see Pennsylvania from here.

The first two hours on Saturday, 20 Meters opened nicely to central and west
Pennslvania for me (200-400 miles) but didn't produce many Qs. I never heard a
peep on 10 Meters and the the only station worked on 15 was KQ3F. I did better
than expected on 160, with my peewee antenna.

Thanks to several people who moved from 40 down to 80 for me on Sunday
afternoon. And thanks to the big gun who moved from 20 to 160 for me, although
we were unsuccessful. Good guy awards to all.

Missed the following counties: BED BRA CRN CLI FUL INN LAC MIF MTR NUM POT SUL
TIO UNI WAR WAY. I heard LAC, MIF, and POT, and tried without success to
attract their attention, but they wouldn't sit still. Thanks to the mobiles. I
didn't get many new counties (one or two) from them but just the Qs were
appreciated.

It is necessary to pay attention to the scoring in this one; "QSOs with the
bonus station are worth 200 points, and any multiplier that has not been
claimed yet." I counted N3KAE as a multiplier (as well as adding 400 bonus
points for two Qs with them). I trust this is right.

Elecraft K3, 66-foot end-fed wire from a 2nd floor apartment window, NA
software. I have now lived here for nearly three years. Have tried countless
antenna configurations and have ended up with pretty much the same wire in a
tree that I started with (overall height about 20 feet). I put a Hustler 4BTV
trap vertical on the balcony for a couple of months this summer but it was more
trouble (and neighbor exposure) than it was worth, so I de-erected it. (I'm an
editor and I can make up a word if I want to.)

I've spent a lot of time and not a few dollars in grounding, RFI-shielding,
etc., and added a long "snake" wire for receive, and all this has helped. I've
fine-tuned the antenna so I can make quick band changes, too, even to 160. I
admit that even after 48 years of hamming, this apartment experience has taught
me a few things about station setup. Nothing more I can do here that I can think
of.

The old, used K3 I bought in June helps keep me in the chair, I think, since
it's such a pleasure to operate, especially in changing bands and tuning up
with only one antenna.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Atlantic City