[3830] PaQP K8MR Single Op Port HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP K8MR Single Op Port HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:37:26 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op Port HP
QTH: Cameron Co.
Operating Time (hrs): 1:00

  160:
   80:   2      52
   40:   2      20
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
-------------------------------------
Total:   4      72      0        0  Mults = 53  Total Score = 4,399.0

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

34 counties, 19 sections (including EPA and WPA).

Our W3USA/M route includes about a 4 mile stetch through rare Cameron county.
Rather than sit parked there being a weak mobile, this year I took time out to
throw up an 80/40 dipole at the Wycoff Run parking area and operate as a weak
(but less weak) fixed station. The antenna was up about 25 feet at the center
and five feet at the ends. I did chat with several people while putting it up
and taking it down.  Is there a Field Day like bonus for operation in a public
place?

I never got any roaring pileups going, but people did answer my CQs, unlike the
case when mobile on SSB.  I tried CW but not get a quick response so went back
to SSB.

For mobiles who do only SSB and don't operate while driving (a wise idea), I
highly recommend taking the effort to put up a full size antenna so people will
hear you.  Be a rover rather than a mobile.

73  -   Jim  K8MR