[3830] CQWW SSB K7ZSD M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7zsd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K7ZSD M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:37:31 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): KR7X, KI7Y, W7ZB, K9JF, K7AR, K7RF, KN7K, K2PO, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/M HP
QTH: NW Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   34     8        9
   80:  127    20       34
   40:  602    30       71
   20:  962    38      130
   15:  424    28       83
   10:   29     9       13
------------------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Another party here at Smoke Ranch with the guys coming and going through the
weekend. A very special thank you to K7RF for arriving at 11pm both nights and
leaving at 7 or 8 in the morning missing the breakfasts, lunches, and dinners
just to help the station make it through the toughest part of the contest. Also
KN7K and K2PO for doing the same on one night each. The rest of us had the
entire weekend of highs and the lows of west coast operating.

This year it was search and pounce Europe each morning, and run the Pacific in
the afternoon. With 3 OWA 20m beams with booms of 43 ft and 48 ft on two towers
100 feet and 150 feet, we could not run Europe on 20m after trying dozens of
times. We had 38 zones and 130 countries on 20m, but only 962 Qs. On all bands
the log shows 54 per cent Asia and Oceana, and 11 per cent Europe. We worked a
lot of JA and VK. The 160 and 80m bands were just plain painful. Nobody there.
Unbelievable. Ten meters sounded like 2 meters. The forty meter band was fun.
It was open from 11 pm to mid morning to the Pacific. On Forty only the first
tier stations in Europe were worked short path, and none on the morning long
path.

Why do we do it? For the fun of it. For great laughs, a lot of good food,
college football, really smooth scotch, and 5 9 03. Most of all the
camaraderie. Thank you KR7X, KI7Y, W7ZB, K9JF, K7AR, K7RF, KN7K, and K2PO.  We
will do it again next year. K7ZSD