[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 04:34:03 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   35     7       17
   80:  174    14       57
   40:  184    20      174
   20:  531    29      105
   15:  445    23       92
   10:   38     8       12
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast that was.  It started out funky as the geomagnetic was way more
disturbed than expected.
I was struggling on 40 - 160 the first evening from up here in north - central
Vermont.  But was
still fairly close to last year's score as the 20M Saturday to EU begun around
1030Z.

As is typical, it has very hard to run as low power on 20 in CQ WW SSB on day
one.  I would try
periodically but keep going back to decent rate S & P.  It was nice to see 15
open on day 1 so
overall the first day was good and I was only 50 Qs behind my last year rate at
00Z.

Luckily 160 + 80 improved greatly on the second night although still nothing
like last year's low
band conditions.  Had a nice run on 80 for about 90 mins at EU sunrise for
about 70 Qs.

The 20M opening to Asia was the best I have ever experienced in a CQ WW from
here in Vermont (since 2002).
I ran JA and S & P'd easily.  Had a UA0, KL7, and many JAs call.  Worked many
Asian double mults plus KH0, 9M6,
DU.  Usually I am happy with a few of those from here. I almost ran the table
missing z22, z23,z26 and from
that part of the world (I have never worked all of 22 - 28 in a CQ WW low power
from Vermont).

Worked about double the amount of Asians on 20 I would normally work in GOOD
conditions let alone this
part of the sunspot cycle.

Day 2 saw better low band and a better group of runs on 20.  But 15 was
spectacular on day 2.  I had a few
excellent runs with the rate meter hitting 200 a few times.  But they didn't
last as long and go as
broad as higher sunspot years (very low G, SM, LA etc.).  But I am not
complaining.  I heard VU2PAI at
around 1230Z (unbelievable) but could not break the pile.

The big disappointment for me was 40M.  I was really hopeful to run on 40M.  It
was not to be other than
about 30Qs worth.  The MUF dropped just as the contest started (G6PZ worked me
15 mins before and was +20
and I caleed him at 0030Z and he was S7). So with the smaller MUF window and
everyone CQing on 40 it was
tough to get any rate.  The effeciency of 40 improved dramatically with
probably 80% of Qs simplex now.

In the end I beat my best score since 2004 and beat last year by 60,000 points.
 If K1BX, or any other of
our hard working and worthy low power competitiors, take the plaque this year,
they have again "earned
it".  Congrats to all.

See you in CQ WW CW.

Ed  N1UR