[3830] CQWW SSB FS/K1XM(@FS5KA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB FS/K1XM(@FS5KA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:32:29 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: FS/K1XM
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: FS5KA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Saint Martin
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:   56     6       14
   80:  278    15       46
   40:  661    22       81
   20:  953    26       82
   15: 2236    29       98
   10:  327    17       49
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3, Alpha 374a (600 watts out
max).

Antennas:  Tennadyne T-8 at 40', 40 dipole, 80 and
160 inverted vees.

As of noon Friday the Tennadyne T-8 was down with no
balun or feedline.  The previous coax had arced at
the barrel connector and the coax on both sides was
very badly corroded.  By 5:30 I was able to connect
the replacement feedline to the coax switch but I
had to climb the tower one more time to move the 40
meter dipole so I could rotate the beam - otherwise
it would be fixed south.

As a result I started the contest exhausted.

Friday night conditions were awful on 80 and 160 with
noise of S9 and S9+20 respectively.

Fortunately 15 was good and I was able to keep going
with just a couple hours off.  Unfortunately RF got
into the voice keyer on 15 and I was too tired to fix
it so I disconnected it.

By Saturday night I was beat.  I gave up and went to
sleep.  That cost me the better European sunrise and,
for that matter, my sunrise.  When I woke up I still
felt lousy and considered bagging the contest.  But I
didn't feel up for tearing down the station or diving
down the hill.

I ate some food and finally convinced myself to tune for
a couple multipliers.  I was off the air for 7 1/2 hours.

I found a quiet frequency on 15 and called CQ.  A nice
European run started and I kept going.  I got enough of
a second wind to keep running people but I didn't do as
much multiplier hunting as I should have.  On the other
hand, having HS0AC call in on 15 over Europe was pretty
cool.

I worked a few Europeans on 10 Saturday but on Sunday it
was better and I had a run, mostly of Italian stations.

I never had a good European run on 20.  And FS/K1XM is
sufficiently confusing that I only did S&P for multipliers.
Explaining "No, not Fox Six" and "No, there is no number
after the Sierra" and so forth to non-English speakers on
a noisy band gets real old real fast.

I have read that in ancient civilizations naming a
thing or knowing the name gave one power over it.  As
a result people kept their real names secret.  I think
this may be enjoying a renaissance in Italy, spreading
to Spain and Switzerland and to a lesser extent other
places.  OTHERWISE, WHY THE HELL DOES A STATION WITH
SIX LETTERS IN THE CALLSIGN ONLY GIVE ME TWO OF THEM???

The CW contest is only a few weeks away!

Thanks to Mort, W1UQ/PJ7UQ/FS5UQ for the use of the FS5KA
station.