[3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:23:58 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B,N3SB,NY3A,AK3Z,N3YIM,KA3ITJ,ND3D,N8IVN,N3VOP
Station: WX3B

Class: M/M HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:   15     5        7
   80:   76    12       38
   40:  179    23       72
   20:  447    35      109
   15:  282    26       89
   10:   43     8       14
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This year's effort at WX3B was led and managed by Dennis, N8IVN.  Thanks to
Dennis's hosting a number of folks had a great time!  Friday night's dinner and
rag chewing festivities were EXCELLENT!

Perhaps it was Bob, ND3D who was the most enthusiastic CW operator I've ever
seen that picked up a Mic and enjoyed himself - that could be a first.

Joe, N3YIM had a good time banging his head against a brick wall trying to work
(loud) Europeans on 75 meters.  I think he had a record number of them CQ in his
face on Friday night.  Fortunately, misery loves company and I think even the
big guns were waiting in line.  Thanks to Joe for assisting with the Friday
night dinner party festivities.

The 4 Amigos N3SB, NY3A, AK3Z and WX3B had their first reunion in quite some
time.  For those that remember ancient history, these are the for folks that
put up the first WX3B AB/577 in the winter blizzard of 2000 (about
February/March timeframe).  K4VV, Jack is credited with providing the injection
of enthusiasm and motivation for that tower party (are you reading this, Jack?)

N3SB was seen enjoying himself on 40 meters - one of the two "good" bands
Friday night.  His game was wading into the worst, most horrendous pileup he
could find, and busting it with a couple calls.

AK3Z was found discussing his rebuilding plans, which include a tree cutter who
works for the tree wood (I'll believe that when I see it!), some phillystran guy
wires, and a fixed up KLM KT-34A after he breaks it down element by element to
figure out why it won't resonate!

NY3A got into the action of at temping a few pounces on 160.  He had more
success than I did.  After he worked Jim, CN2R, we all tried it with different
call signs and nobody got through.  Must have been NY3A's magic touch on SSB.
Perhaps he missed his calling.

KA3ITJ was working hard on 20 Friday night.  I questioned him at one point in
time about the WX3B spots of all these JAs and China stations - figuring they
were impostor spots - and he assured me that all of them were in WX3B's log!
Amazing opening to Asia on Friday night.

N3VOP arrived at WX3B's house Sunday afternoon to discover the UNTHINKABLE but
very likely) scenario of nobody being at the house.  Mike got the system (and
network) up and running and made a bunch of QSOs on 20.  Mike's thought about
20 at WX3B Sunday night:  "It's so great to hit the hammer and have them come
right back...".   Quite a different story than earlier in the weekend, when all
the Europeans were working each other!

N8IVN, Dennis, our team leader had a few thoughts about his weekend:

1.  Glad to make more QSOs and a higher score than 2008's WX3B effort.

2.  Working JAs late in the evening on 15 meters is FUN!  (Dennis, you'll have
to tell me what that's like:  I FORGET!)

3.  Seeing ND3D's enthusiasm for SSB even though he is a die-hard CW contester
was fun.

4.  Fun being in contact w/ KL7RA where Dave/KA1NCN was a guest op.  It was
Dave who got me interested in contesting and the PVRC.  As well, contacting
some countries that I've never worked before:  Israel, Egypt, Tunisia.

The 20m AL-1200 was repaired (high voltage board replaced) Thursday before the
contest.  If you want to hear a L-O-N-G story of how to make a 60 minutes
repair last two hours, just ask.  Finding extra hardware and packing material
in a used amplifier is always an interesting experience.

There was only ONE hardware casualty during the weekend.  You know that saying,
when you're super tired, it's not a good idea to try ANYTHING new?  WX3B (your
author) broke that rule, tuned up N8IVN's excellent condition Dentron MLA-2500
and it worked PERFECTLY until it was over driven with 100 watts accidentally
and completely stopped putting out power.  I've got my fingers crossed that
Motorcycle Bob, KC3VO can bail me out of this hot seat!

In closing I want to mention that there was a somber side of this weekend's
contest as we paused for the first minute in recognition of the tragic plane
crash of the C6APR team.  W3PP and K3IXD were both good radio friends, and I am
really going to miss them.  Dallas and I would rag chew for hours about station
building and he would share his secrets!  Ed was one of the original leaders of
the North West chapter that got me involved with PVRC.  Rest in peace,
gentlemen.

Congratulations to Dennis and Team WX3B for their improved effort this year.
If you get the feeling it is more about fun than the contest score at
WX3B....you have our number!