[3830] SS CW K8MFO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mfo@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K8MFO Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:37:18 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 9+

------------
  160:
   80:  101
   40:   95
   20:   84
   15:   20
   10:
------------

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

My first ever contest was CW SS in 1959.    On the 50th anniversary I decided to
again use a Johnson Viking Ranger transmitter!  Nostalgia is fine, but there is
no way I was going to use a Hallicrafters SX-99 receiver, but a Drake R4C
filled the bill just fine.  I also decided not to use my "aluminum jungle", and
went with my Buxcomm Windom hung out of a tree at my barn boatanchor station.
This was actually much better than my antennas in 1959.

My initial goal was to do an 80 QSO in 80 section effort, but I quickly found
that would exclude many friends.   So the goal was still 80 sections, but to
also make additional QSOs.   As it wound up I had almost 300 when I was able to
use a bit of creativity and work VO1BQ for the SWEEP.    He gave me #10 and
seemed as pleased as I was with the QSO.     By the way, WA6FGV in SB was #79.
Votes of thanks should go to guys like FGV who regularly activate somewhat rare
sections!    And what about the advances that VY1EI has made in quick order?
Then there is KE0Z who put VE4 in many logs.    The folks were out from KL7 in
force, as were the locals in ND.

I had fun in 1959 and also 2009.     My own personal philosophy is to have FUN
in contests, and only occasionally make a serious effort.   This works for me
and keeps me coming back for more.    If you're a "patient sort", try the
boatanchor route for some real fun!

Thanks to all of you who have branded your calls in my brain in the last 50+
years.

73

Don K8MFO