[3830] SS CW KB9OWD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW KB9OWD Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:13:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  240
   40:  239
   20:  209
   15:   43
   10:
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Nice to get back in the swing of radio a bit after a busy summer with very
little radio time.  I hadn't had a rig on for more than 10 minutes at since
IARU until 2 weeks ago when I was at W0AIH for CQWW SSB.  Was happy to have a
weekend to play radio again.  The WI weather pushed 70 boths days and we don't
have many more like this left and it made it tough to sit in the chair.

Goals were to be last year in both QSO's and points and to obtain the sweep.
The easier of the 2 was the sweep by far which was in the bag by 1430Z Sunday
morning.  Last section was NL but had a devil of a time finding my second to
last, of all things, LAX.  Usually my tough ones here are NL, NWT, ND and MB.
NWT has always been a Sunday afternoon thing.  Got lucky and found Jay on, I
believe 14063 or that area Saturday evening and worked him first call!  Also
found ND Saturday evening as well as MB, both on 80.  I would have each call me
again on Sunday.  I took my main off time for a block of 4 hours and 20 minutes
from 1:20 A.M. local until 5:40 A.M. local.  When I went to bed Saturday
evening, I had 75 of 80, needing LAX, NL, ME, WY and SB.

I found ME on 80 right off the bat tuning around Sunday morning.  Got WY early
on 20 and found K6LA for LAX early on 20.  SB called me while I was CQing on
20.  I worked out most of the band at the time on 20, went to 40 to CQ after
sitting forever with the beam NE on 20 hoping for a NL to call in to finish it.
 While on 40, had the 2nd VFO on 15 and found a huge pile which I figured was a
NWT gathering.  Low and behold, it was VO1MP about 40 over 9.  Flipped over,
got him on the first call and the sweep was in the bag.

With goal #1 behind, the next was to beat last year in score and QSO's (Which
with the sweep in hand would come at the same time).  Passed my 701 QSO's from
last year with about an hour to go.  Overall, up 30 QSO's and 5,000 points.

Heard N9CK about 200 QSO's ahead of me Saturday night and I know John, K0TG was
in WI LP and has me licked, probably along with a few hours.

I comtemplated throwing the towel in Sunday afternoon, getting a cold and
between coughing and getting congested, was losing interest.  My apologies for
some repeats Sunday afternoon.  I took the headset off about 2100Z as I just
could not take it any longer and was listening on an external speaker.

Alot of good scores out there!  Congratulations to the high scores and to those
in WI who stuck this one out on likely one of our last weekends like this for
months!  See you all in SS SSB in a few weeks and CQWW CW from W0AIH.

73

Ryan KB9OWD