[3830] SS CW N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:02:14 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  290
   40:  614
   20:  269
   15:   32
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My score is always a WHAT IF. Every year when SS is over my first comment to
myself is, NEXT YEAR I AM GOING TO OPERATE ALL 24 HRS.  I just can't seem to
practice the BIC on Sunday afternoon and evenings.  When SS was over on Sunday
I was able to make the same comment for SS SSB and for next year SS CW.

This year started out a bit rocky.  I was expecting very quiet, QRN free, bands
and that is not what I had.  For the first three hours I had very bad
interference on both 20 and 40.  Then when I went to the kitchen to refill my
ice water the cause was quickly identified.  We had company at the house and
someone had turned on the under cabinet fluorescent lights over the counters in
the kitchen.  Once off, the expected quite bands were there and the fun started.
 My requests for fills went down and my rate went up.

I was very surprised to see some of what I thought would be more difficult
mults get in the log quite early.  I have read many reports about SB being a
hard one.  I guess luck was on my side during the interference time, because it
was in my log as Q number 10.   North Dakota was my Q 63 with SD right behind at
171.  As I was running U class, I jumped off my run frequency to work VE8EV for
Q number 67.  Soon after switching to running 40 and SP on 20 VO1MP called in
for mult 74 and Q 293. Not much later I was lucky again and PR, mult number 80
from last year, was in the log by Q306 this year. I was sure a sweep would be
in my log before I shut down the first night.  YES, at 0558Z, after switching
to 80 run 40 SP, N4ZR called me from WV for mult number 80.  The sweep was in
the log at 0558Z, 1258EST.  DONE.

I decided to stay up the first night until the rate dropped.  So, at 0659Z it
was bed time.  710 Qs in the log and the mult done.  Time to sleep.

As expected, Sunday was slow going. The Patriots game caused frequent 15 to 20
minute breaks.  The great weather forced me to take a walk out in the antenna
field and enjoy the sun and a glass of wine. Lunch was actually long enough to
count as a break.  Then about 23:00Z I finally got up only to return every 15
minutes of so to work a new spot or two. The last 3 hours only added 25 Qs to
the log.  At this point, please refer back to paragraph ONE.  According to the
WriteLog timer, I was on the air for 21.5 hours.  The actual BIC time is closer
to 18 or 19.

Thanks to all for the Qs and the repeats. It has been said many times, but a
big THANKS to Bob, K3MQ, for all the GO PVRC spots.  Maybe I can stay in the
chair for SS SSB.  I doubt it.

Hope to work you again in 2 weeks.

GO PVRC and 73,
Bruce N1LN