[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:07:40 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   50     5       15
   80:  312    14       53
   40:  588    22       82
   20: 2041    26      105
   15: 1892    29       97
   10:  217    15       30
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I made a quick trip to Aruba and I spent a couple of days setting up the
station.  About 30 hours before the contest started, I discovered a serious
problem with my 40m beam - it was completely dead.  The constant wind and salt
spray are very destructive to antenna systems and I have been fortunately that
this was my first antenna failure in 9 years of operating from P4.  I have had
several transceiver failures and one computer failure so even indoor
electronics seem to be effected by the climate.  With no time to fix the
antenna, I cleaned the corrosion off of a linear loaded dipole that I had in
storage and installed it on Friday morning.  Unfortunately, this left me with
no time to thoroughly test out the station or even to listen to band conditions
prior to the contest.   Luckily everything worked fine.  Running low power was a
struggle on the low bands, especially without the 40m beam.   80m and 160m were
pretty noisy and many stations could not hear me on 160m causing me to miss
what are normally easy multipliers.  During the day, 15m and 20m were both in
excellent shape and the brief 10m openings were a nice surprise.   My quickest
rate was on 15m, where I made 353 contacts in an hour and 20m produced my
highest QSO and country totals. The contest was fun and I was very happy to
operate what is likely my last CQWW Phone from this station as the home was
sold in April.   I have had a more excitement contesting from this small
residential lot than I had ever imagined.   Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and
it was great to work K3LR, K5TR, WE3C, PJ2T, W3LPL, W9RE and NR5M on all six
bands.  Please QSL via WD9DZV.   Congratulations to WB9Z for breaking my 9th
call area 20m record and to N6KT / HC8A for another H.P. win.  Rich makes it
look easy and it certainly is not.   My condolences to the friends and families
of W2GJ, K3IXD, W3PP, and K4QO who died in a plane crash on their way to the
Bahamas to operate as C6APR, they will be missed.

73,
John KK9A  john@p40a.com