[3830] WAE RTTY W4PK Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4PK@ARRL.NET
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY W4PK Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 05:59:38 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   80:  115  115    50   124
   40:  270  270   340   147
   20:  309  309   460   124
   15:  124  124   201    82
   10:    1    1     0     2
------------------------------
Total:  819  819  1051   479  Total Score = 895,730

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A fun contest, even though I struggled a bit with learning how to enter/receive
QTC's with N1MM which was the first time I had used this program for this
contest.

I did not do as well as I did regarding last year's score (a bit over the
million-mark and about 50 more Q's).  Early Friday evening my 80M 4-square
started exhibiting a varying VSWR more of more than 2:1!  So 80M was out for
the rest of the evening.

I note that conditions Friday night on 40M were strange in that I was getting
much better copy using the "fluttered signals FIR" than "Standard RTTY" on my
MMTTY decoder.

Saturday morning I investigated my 4-square, which consists of 4 KLM
full-length verticals.  The KLM consists of a tripod arrangement 36-feet high
on which is mounted a 34-foot whip consisting of decreasing diameter aluminum
tubes.  It was one of these whips that had broken off at the top of the tripod,
apparently from metal fatigue.

So I spent all Saturday afternoon laying the tripod down and repairing the whip
rather than operating the contest.  But if conditions were as bad Saturday
afternoon as they were on Sunday afternoon I did not miss too much.

I did manage to put in 24 hours for this contest, the same amount of time I had
operated during last year's contest. Conditions were not that great with many
Europeans being barely readable.

I had hoped to beat my last year's score, but the combination of losing my 80M
capability Friday night and appparently poorer propagation conditions prevented
me from achieving this personal goal.