[3830] SS SSB KA1ARB Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KA1ARB Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:31:35 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KA1ARB
Operator(s): KA1ARB, WB1ADR
Station: KA1ARB

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  508
   40:  765
   20:  488
   15:   30
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was our best score ever - good conditions and lots of new stations popping
up on Sunday!  This was also my first venture into two radios.  I didnâ??t
manage to get all the SO2R wiring done between the equipment, which was a good
thing because I discovered that I donâ??t have any of the SO2R wiring done
between my ears.  As a multi-op, we did 1.5-Op 2-Radio with lots of hand
signals, shouting, and smacks on each otherâ??s arms.  We did keep clean about
only one signal at a time, and ended up with a tandem rhythm that was pretty
cool.  173 total QSOâ??s on the second radio including many of the more elusive
mults.  In fact, we managed a clean sweep with 2 NWTâ??s and 1 NL.  We did
finally stop our running Sunday at 17:00Z to hunt down VY1EI on 15m for #80,
though we also got called by VY1WR at 00:03 on Sunday night.

We had our best start ever, on 40 meters, and I began to have hope that maybe
weâ??d make our goal.  But then we spent far too much time in frequency fights
until finally moving to 80 meters at 4:30Z.  We started to pick up steam on 80,
until everything just ran out of steam at 7:30Z and we went to bed earlier than
I ever remember.  Got started again at 13:00Z on Sunday morning and things were
already HOT.  We were behind last years score, but all day Sunday we had
consistently solid hours.  Took our final time off at 22:30Z Sunday night for
40 minutes and then sprinted to the finish.

We managed to schedule Murphy to visit in the weeks and hours before the
contest and there were no problems left by Saturday afternoon.  We did keep
alive our â??no sleep Friday nightâ?? strategy with Lee WB1ADR fixing some bad
switching equipment until 2:30 AM.  That didnâ??t stop him from carrying the
load all weekend with some great runs.  Maybe someday weâ??ll see what he can
do on full rest!

Thanks for all the Qâ??s and 73,
   Rob KA1ARB